Current Affairs Updates for 31 January 2016
Uttar Pradesh joins UDAY scheme
- Uttar Pradesh became the fourth state to join the Centre’s scheme to revive state electricity distribution utilities on Saturday.
- The four states – Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh - which have signed MoUs for joining UDAY.
Current Affairs Updates for 30 January 2016
IRCTC announces new rule for online ticket booking
- Railway Ministry has announced a new rule for booking of online tickets through the IRCTC website, further reducing the maximum number of ticket bookings allowed by an individual user to 6 from the current 10.
Akash missile successfully test fired
- Indigenously-built surface-to-air Akash missile was successfully test fired from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipuri in Odisha.
Nisid Hajari won 2016 William E. Colby Award
- Nisid Hajari won the 2016 William E. Colby Award for his book, Midnight’s Furies: The Deadly Legacy of India’s Partition.
Justice Sanjay Mishra has been appointed new Lokayukta of UP
- The Supreme Court appointed former judge of the Allahabad High Court Justice Sanjay Mishra as the Lokayukta of Uttar Pradesh.
Govt revises down 2014/15 GDP growth to 7.2% y/y
- Government today revised down its annual economic growth for the fiscal year that ended in March 2015 to 7.2 percent from 7.3 percent reported earlier.
India gets more voting rights in IMF reforms
- International Monetary Fund’s (IMF’s) long-pending 2010 Quota and Governance Reforms have finally become effective and came into effect on 27 January 2016, Wednesday.
Airbus signs $25bn deal to sell 118 planes to Iran
- Iran has signed a deal to buy 118 Airbus planes worth $25bn (€22bn; £17.4bn) at list prices in one of the biggest deals signed since Western sanctions against Tehran were lifted.
$80-m ADB loan to improve infra in Agartala, Aizawl
- ADB has sanctioned an $50 mn loan to help continue improving infrastructure in the two North-Eastern cities of Agartala and Aizawl. The loan is the third tranche of $200-million financing facility under the North Eastern Region Capital Cities Development Investment Program.
Dr. Mahesh Sharma releases a Commemorative Coin of rs 150 and Circulation Coin of rs 10 on Lala Lajpat Rai
- Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism released a Commemorative Coin of Rs 150 and a Circulation Coin of Rs 10 on Late Lala Lajpat Rai here today.
Current Affairs Updates for 29 January 2016
Gurdeep Singh appointed as CMD of NTPC
- Gurdeep Singh has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited.
Leslie Berland appointed as CMO of Twitter Inc
- Micro blogging site Twitter has appointed Leslie Berland as its Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of the company. She was working at American Express (AmEx) as executive vice-president of global advertising, marketing and digital partnerships.
Sania-Dodig lose in Australian Open mixed doubles semis
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis were crowned the Australian Open women's doubles champions after taming the spirited Czech duo of Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka in straight sets on Friday.
Book named ‘Turbulent years’ released
- The second part of President Pranab Mukherjee’s biography ‘Turbulent years’ was released yesterday. He has shared his political experiences in this book.
Australian batsman David Warner won Allan Border Medal 2016
- Australian batsman David Warner on 27 January 2016 defeated captain Steve Smith for the prestigious Allan Border Medal for 2016.
Indian activist Henri Tiphagne selected for Amnesty International Human Rights Award 2016
- Indian lawyer and human rights defender Henri Tiphagne on 26 January 2016 was selected for the 8th Human Rights Award by Amnesty International Germany.
Rajasthan Govt inks MoU to join UDAY Scheme
- Rajasthan Government along with its power distribution companies (DISCOMS) has signed a MoU to join UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) Scheme.
Union Government launched National Job Portal for Persons with Disabilities
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot on 27 January 2016 launched the National level Job portal for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
Current Affairs Updates for 28 January 2016
Scientists discover largest known solar system
- Astronomers have discovered the largest known solar system in the form of gas giant located one trillion kilometers away.
Cognizant acquires KBACE Technologies
- United States (US) based software services exporter Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) has acquired cloud-based computing firm KBACE Technologies. KBACE Technologies’ 400 consultants and implementation experts will become part of Cognizant.
150th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai
- 150th birth anniversary of great freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai, also known as Punjab Kesri is being celebrated 28th January 2016.
India overtakes Thailand as World’s largest Rice exporter
- India has overtaken Thailand as the world’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015 by shipping (exporting) 10.23 million tonnes of rice.
CERT-In inks cyber security agreements with 3 nations
- Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has signed cybersecurity agreement with its counterparts in Malaysia, Singapore and Japan.
India and Armenia Sign Protocol amending the India-Armenia Double Taxation Avoidance Convention
- A Protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention was signed by the Government of India and the Government of Armenia here today.
India ranks 76 in Corruption Perception Index
- The Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI) has put India at rank 76 out of 168 countries in its latest Corruption Perception Index.
HCL Tech acquires P2P, HCLTSS for Rs 1.01 billion
- HCL Technologies, one of the leading software exporters, announced has acquired 100% stake in Point to Point and Point to Point Products (jointly referred to as P2P) and HCL Training and Staffing Services (HCLTSS) for a consideration of approx Rs 1.01 billion.
Cabinet approves raising of 17 Indian Reserve Battalions by J&K and LWE States
- The Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the raising of 17 India Reserve Battalions (IR Bns) by Jammu & Kashmir and Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected States.
EF creates task force with Mark Carney & Raghuram Rajan
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has created a new task force with Bank of England Governor Mark Carney and his counterpart at the Reserve Bank of India, Raghuram Rajan.
Apollo Munich ties up with Axis Bank for policy distribution
- Apollo Munich today announced its partnership with Axis Bank for offering bank customers customized insurance policies.
Current Affairs Updates for 27 January 2016
Coca Cola to launch dairy drinks in India
- Coca-Cola beverage giant announced that it will launch milk - based beverages under the brand name “Vio”.
International Customs Day observed today
- The International Customs Day 2016 was observed across the world on 26 January 2016.
RBI seeks additional Rs.26k cr for PSU banks
- The RBI has sought an additional Rs.26,000 crore from the government by 2018 for capital infusion into Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) banks for implementing Basel-III norms in the banks.
Marvin Minsky, Pioneer in Artificial Intelligence, passed away
- Marvin Minsky, he combined a scientist’s thirst for knowledge with a philosopher’s quest for truth as a pioneering explorer of artificial intelligence, work that helped inspire the creation of the personal computer and the Internet, died on Sunday night in Boston.
Rekha conferred with Yash Chopra Memorial award
- Veteran Bollywood actress Rekha was honoured with the third Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai on January 25, 2016.
French army first foreign contingent participate at Republican day
- French Army soldiers today created history by marching down the Rajpath during the Republic Day parade, becoming the first foreign military contingent to take part in the celebrations.
Army dogs march after 26 years in Republican day
- After a gap of 26 years, 36 Indian canine soldiers, consisting of 24 Labradors and 12 German Shepherds, Tuesday marched down the majestic Rajpath during the 67th Republic Day parade.
India Celebrates 67th Republic Day
- India today celebrates its 67th Republic Day with President Francois Hollande as the chief guest. It was the fifth time a French president has been chief guest, the biggest honour India can bestow on a foreign leader.
India’s first blind friendly train flagged off
- India’s first blind friendly train, from Mysuru to Varanasi, made its maiden journey on Tuesday morning.
American actor Abe Vigoda passes away
- American actor Abe Vigoda best known for roles in The Godfather and Barney Miller, a sitcom of 1970s passed away in New Jersey, US.
Current Affairs Updates for 26 January 2016
Union Government launches Sahaj Scheme for online booking of LPG cylinders
- Union Government has launched Sahaj Scheme for online booking of LPG cylinders. It was launched by Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas (Independent Charge) Dharmendra Pradhan as part of Government’s 2016-Year of the Consumers initiative.
India, France ink 14 pacts for cooperation various fields
- India and France have singed 14 pacts for enhancing the bilateral cooperation various fields including defence, space, railways, education etc.
Malayalam actor Kalpana passes away
- Famous Malayalam film actress Kalpana Ranjani passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana due to a heart attack.
EC celebrates 6th National Voters’ Day across India
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has celebrated the 6th National Voters’ Day across the country. President also gave away Awards for Best Electoral Practices to Chief Electoral Officers, District Electoral Officers and other Officers involved in election management.
Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis storm into Australian Open semifinals
- Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis continued their winning streak as they defeated the German-American pair of Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Coco Vandeweghe to storm into the semifinals of the Australian Open women's double event on Tuesday.
Najeeb Jung congratulates Delhi for winning best State Award
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Monday congratulated Delhi for winning the best State Award under the category of initiatives for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and Electoral Roll Management on the National Voter's Day 2016.
Martyred soldier who killed 10 guerrillas in J-K awarded Ashok Chakra
- Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami, who killed 10 guerrillas in 11 days before attaining martyrdom, was posthumously awarded Ashok Chakra -- the country’s highest peacetime gallantry award -- by President Pranab Mukhejree on Tuesday.
Current Affairs Updates for 25 January 2016
Pusarla Venkata Sindhu won the 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title
- In the final match played at Penang she defeated Scotland’s Kirsty Gilmour (World No.20) by 21-15, 21-9 score.
- This was Sindhu’s second title in Malaysia Masters Grand Prix which and earlier she had won in 2013.
- It was overall fifth career Grand prix gold title and first title of the season 2016.
Union Cabinet clears President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh
- Proposal in this regard has been forwarded to President Pranab Mukherjee after Union Government felt that Congress ruled state is heading for a constitutional breakdown.
Tabla maestro Pandit Shankar Ghosh passes away
- Eminent tabla player Pandit Shankar Ghosh passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal following a prolonged illness. He was 80.
TranServ launches India’s first social mobile wallet Udio
- India’s digital payment startup company TranServ has launched country’s first Social Mobile Wallet named Udio.
First Ministerial Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum held Manama
- The first Ministerial Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum was held Manama, capital city of Bahrain.
- The meeting was inaugurated by Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa and was attended by representatives of 22 Arab League nations.
ONGC gets environmental clearance for project in Krishna-Godavari basin
- State owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) has received environmental clearance for a project in the Krishna-Godavari (KG) basin in Andhra Pradesh.
Jan Dhan accounts deposits cross Rs. 30,000 cr.
- Deposits in accounts opened under the government’s flagship financial inclusion programme Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) have crossed the Rs. 30,000 crore mark.
PM declassifies 100 files relating to Netaji
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today made public digital copies of 100 secret files relating to Subhas Chandra Bose on his 119th birth anniversary, which could throw some light on the controversy over his death.
Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly Nirmala Gajwani died
- Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly and Social Activist Nirmala Gajwani passed away on 21 January 2016 in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was 87.
- Gajwani was the first lady Deputy Speaker of Gujarat legislative Assembly.
BEPS guidelines of OECD to be implemented in India from 1 April 2016
- The term BEPS is an acronym of Base Erosion and Profit Shifting and it was in news in the third week of January 2016 as India decided to implement these guidelines.
Tunisia imposes curfew as unrest grows over lack of jobs
- Tunisia has imposed a nationwide overnight curfew after protests and violence against rising unemployment spread across the country.
Govt. mobilises 900 kg of gold under monetisation scheme
- The government on Saturday said it had netted a hefty 900 kg of idle household and temple gold under the monetisation scheme and is hopeful that the number would rise further in future.
Paranjoy Thakurta appointed EPW Editor
- The Sameeksha Trust, which runs the Economic and Political Weekly has appointed senior journalist Paranjoy Guha Thakurta editor of the journal from April 1. This follows the resignation of Rammanohar Reddy from the post early this month.
Australia clinched bilateral ODI cricket series against India
- Australia has thrashed India by 4-1 in 5 match one day international series played in Australia.
- Indian batsman Rohit Sharma was declared man of the series for scoring 441 runs including two centuries.
Current Affairs Updates for 23 January 2016
Government inks MoU to implement Action Plan for skill development in Telecom
- Recently,The Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has signed MoU with Department of Telecommunication (DoT) for Skill Development in Telecom Sector.
- Such MoU has signed to implement National Action Plan for Skill Development in Telecom Sector.
INDIA to be fastest growing economy in 2016: UN Report
- India will be the fastest growing big economy in the world in 2016, as per recently released United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects 2016 report.
- The report has projected India's growth rate by 7.3% in the year 2016 and 7.5% in 2017 slightly up from an earlier estimated 7.2% rate in 2015.
19th National Conference on e-Governance begins in Nagpur
- 19th National Conference on e-Governance begins in Nagpur. The nineteenth edition of National Conference on e-Governance has begun on 21 January 2016 in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Moldovan parliament appointed Pavel Filip as Prime Minister
- Moldovan parliament on 20 January 2016 appointed Pavel Filip as the Prime Minister. He would be the third prime minister of Moldova in less than a year.
Ravi Chellam took charge as Executive Director of Greenpeace India
- Noted environmentalist Ravi Chellam on 20 January 2016 took charge as the Executive Director of Greenpeace India, a Non-Government Organisation (NGO). Chellam succeeds former Executive Director Samit Aich.
IRS officer Atulesh Jindal appointed as Chairman of CBDT
- Senior revenue service officer Atulesh Jindal on 21 January 2016 was appointed chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Mauritius offers biofarming technology to India
- Eyeing greater economic cooperation with India, Mauritius offered transfer of bio-farming technology to the country along with enhanced cooperation in the healthcare sector.
2015 declared the hottest year on record
- It’s official: 2015 was the hottest year on record. Global data show that a powerful system, marked by warmed waters in the tropical Pacific Ocean, helped to drive atmospheric temperatures well past 2014’s record highs.
‘Nai Manzil’ Scheme Launched in Jammu and Kashmir
- The ‘Nai Manzil’ scheme has been launched, for the first time in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Dr. Najma Heptulla, the Minister of Minority Affairs informed this while briefing the media on the new initiatives of the Ministry for the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Indian Olympic Association signs IOS Sports & Entertainment as its marketing partner
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Thursday announced that sports management firm IOS Sports & Entertainment will be its exclusive commercial and marketing rights partner for the next two years.
Google Launches First Public Wifi Service in India
- Google, in partnership with Indian Railways, launched its first free high-speed public WiFi service in the country at the Mumbai Central Railway Station today.
Denmark named world’s best country for women
- Denmark is the best country in the world for women to live in, according to a survey conducted by American media company US News and World Report.
Ravindra Reddy, founder Chairman of MTAR, passed away
- Ravindra Reddy, founder Chairman of MTAR, which supplies critical indigenously developed systems for India’s space and nuclear programmes, passed away at the age of 77.
Lleyton Hewitt retired from International Tennis
- An emotional Lleyton Hewitt brought the curtain down on his 18-year singles career as he lost to David Ferrer in the second round of the Australian Open.
Chanderpaul retired from international cricket
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul has called time on his international career after making his debut nearly twenty two years ago. Chanderpaul notified West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) about his decision through an email.
Current Affairs Updates for 22 January 2016
World Bank to provide $250-mn loan for Kosi Basin project
- India signed a $250 million loan agreement with the World Bank for Bihar Kosi Basin Development project, aimed at enhancing resilience to floods and increase agriculture productivity.
- The primary beneficiaries will be rural producers and households in the Kosi River Basin who are regularly exposed to floods, it added.
- It is a loan for an implementation period of 5 years and the Bihar government is the implementing agency.
Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur is the world’s best hotel
- According to travel website TripAdvisor, Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur is the world’s best hotel of 2016.
- Built over 15 years between 1928 and 1943 after its namesake, the Maharaja Umaid Singh, the palatial hotel is literally fit for an Indian king, as the sprawling property is the principal residence of the Jodhpur royal family.
- The palace features 347 rooms.
Nathan Hauritz announces retirement
- Australia off-spinner Nathan Hauritz announced his retirement from competitive cricket on Tuesday, bringing the curtain down on a 15-year career during which he represented the national side in all three formats.
- The 34-year-old failed to take a wicket in that clash, against Perth Scorchers, and conceded 29 runs in his two overs.
Bihar, Jharkhand to have six-lane highway: Cabinet
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on Wednesday approved six-laning of portions of the National Highway-2 (NH-2) in Bihar and Jharkhand, estimated to cost Rs.4,918.48 crore.
- The total length of the road will be approximately 222 km,” the release said.
- The cost is estimated to be Rs.4,918.48 crore, including cost of land acquisition, resettlement and rehabilitation and other pre-construction activities.
Uttar Pradesh won 2014-2015 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
- Uttar Pradesh on 20 January 2016 won its maiden Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy with a 38-run win over two- time champions Baroda in the final played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- It was Uttar Pradesh’s ninth straight win in the tournament, including five in the preliminary league phase and three more in the super league stage.
Amitabh Bachchan, Priyanka Chopra replace Aamir Khan as 'Incredible India' brand ambassadors
- The selection of the two actors follows the Centre's decision to discontinue the contract of actor Aamir Khan, who had angered the BJP-led government with his remarks on perceived intolerance in the country.
- Khan had promoted Indian tourism for a decade as the brand ambassador.
RBI asks banks to stop Rs 1,000 notes without security thread
- The RBI today said it has received complaints about notes of Rs 1,000 denomination without the security thread being in circulation and has asked banks not to issue them in case these are found.
- The Reserve Bank has informed all the banks in Mumbai region not to issue such notes if found in stock and to provide exchange value to the customer who approaches with such a note, if it is otherwise genuine.
Oscar for Indian-origin actor, producer Rahul Thakkar in technical category
- Rahul Thakkar will be presented with the Technical Achievement Award for his contribution to cinema through "groundbreaking design", as announced on the official Oscar Awards website.
PM Narendra Modi released book titled The Z Factor written by Subhash Chandra
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20 January 2016 released a book titled The Z Factor: My Journey as the Wrong Man at the Right Time in New Delhi.
- The book is the autobiography of the promoter of Essel/ Zee Group Subhash Chandra. It is a candid memoir of a ‘truly desi’ self-made businessman who came to Delhi at age twenty with seventeen rupees in his pocket.
- Now, Subhash Chandra has a net worth of 6.3 billion US dollars and annual group revenues of about 3 billion US dollars.
CCEA approved setting up of over 5000 MW of Grid-connected Solar PV Power Projects
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 20 January 2016 gave its approval for setting up over 5000 MW of Grid-Connected Solar PV Power Projects on build, own and operate basis.
- The work will be implemented by Solar Power Developers (SPDs) with Viability Gap Funding (VGF) under Batch-lV of Phase-ll of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM).
- The total investments expected under the scheme is about 30000 crore rupees.
ISRO, Kuwait Institute signed MoU on cooperation in space exploration
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Kuwait Institute of Scientific Research (KISR) on 20 January 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes.
- It will allow use of data from Indian Remote Sensing (IRS) satellites by KISR for initiating a few research and application projects.
Eminent dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai passes away
- Eminent dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai, wife of the late Dr Vikram Sarabhai, father of India’s space programme, passed away here on Thursday following age-related health complications. She was 97.
- Ms Sarabhai, a Padma Bhushan awardee for her contributions to Bharatanatyam and other classical dance forms, was hospitalised here on Wednesday, Kartikeya, said.
Current Affairs Updates for 21 January 2016
MoU between India & UK on Cooperation in Governance Reforms approved by Union Cabinet
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in governance reforms is approved by the Union Cabinet on 20 January 2016. The MoU was signed in November 2015.
PSLV-C31 successfully launched IRNSS-1E satellite
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 20 January 2016 successfully launched the
Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) 1-E satellite.
- The satellite will provide navigation, tracking and mapping services to the Indian sub continent. The satellite is the fifth of the IRNSS constellation.
- It was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SHAR), Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on-board the PSLV-C31.
- The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)-C31 was the 32nd consecutively successful mission of the PSLV. The 'XL' configuration of PSLV was used for this mission.
Govt Announces National Award For The Most 'Film-Friendly' State In India
- Sunil Arora, secretary of information and broadcasting said that the award will be conferred for the first time at the 63rd National Film Awards to be in Delhi on 3 May 2016. The statement was issued by the Press Information Bureau on their official website.
- Film Facilitation Office was to be set up at the National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC) under the supervision of the Ministry of I&B.
Veteran journalist Aroon Tikekar passed away
- Senior journalist and scholar Aroon Tikekar passed away on 19 January 2016 in Mumbai. He was 72. Tikekar, who has written over 20 books, passed away due to breathing-related complications.
Union Government sanctioned 33000 crore rupees for infrastructure projects in Tamilnadu
- Union Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari announced the sanctioned amount and at his discretion, he announced additional 17000 crore rupees. With this, the total amount sanctioned was raised to 50000 crore rupees.
Light combat aircraft, Tejas to fly at Bahrain Air Show
Country’s own fighter aircraft light combat aircraft (LCA), Tejas, will take part in the three-day Bahrain International Airshow starting from Thursday (January 21 to 23).
- “Two limited series production (LSP) aircraft will take part in the Bahrain International Air Show to enthral the visitors from various countries during the flying display through a series of aerobatic manoeuvres such as 8-g pull, vertical loop, slow fly past, barrel roll”, said T Suvarna Raju, CMD, HAL.
- Tejas is a single engine, light weight, highly agile, multi-role supersonic fighter. The Tejas light combat aircraft is a 4.5 generation aircraft with supersonic capability at all altitudes. It has the fly by wire, state of the art open architecture computer for avionics and better weapon and combat capability. With the advanced avionics, the pilot load is also reduced.
Cabinet approves new power tariff policy
- The Union Cabinet today approved a new power tariff policy which will promote clean energy, support the Swachh Bharat programme, better regulation for discoms, and encourage faster roll-out of investments in the sector.
- Under the policy, the power plants will have to use processed municipal waste water available in their vicinity (in 100 km radius). The proposed policy will bring in several unique aspects which have not been touched in the past. It will allow distribution companies to buy any amount of power produced from the waste.
Mamta Binani elected President of ICSI
- Mamta Binani has been elected President of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) for 2016. She took charge on January 19.
- Binani was also the first CS to be conferred the 'Bharat Nirman Awards' in 2010.
Housing.com appoints co-founder Snehil Buxy as its chief product officer
- Housing.com, an online real estate platform has appointed co-founder Snehil Buxy as its new chief product officer.
- Since the company's inception, he has played key roles, including leading the front-end team and spearheading product development, while also overseeing and driving different aspects of the business.
ICICI Bank opens its first branch in South Africa
ICICI Bank inaugurated its first full service branch at Sandton in Johannesburg becoming the first Indian private sector bank to open a branch in the African continent.
- The branch was inaugurated by President of ICICI Bank, Vijay Chandok.
- ICICI Bank’s Johannesburg branch is an authorised financial services provider in South Africa licensed by the South African Reserve Bank, the bank said in a statement.
India among top 5 most promising markets globally
- According to the annual Global CEO survey of consultancy giant PwC, India has emerged as one of the five most promising markets for businesses globally as it offers one of the best opportunities for both domestic as well as global companies.
- The top five markets considered as most important for overall growth prospects by the respondents are USA, China, Germany, the UK and India.
MRF becomes global partner for ICCMRF Ltd has become a global partner for International Cricket Council (ICC) by signing a four- deal with the council that includes this year’s ICC World Twenty 20 in India, next year’s ICC Champions Trophy and ICC Cricket World Cup in 2019.
- As a global partner, MRF will have multiple branding opportunities at all match venues during the ICC World Twenty 20 and future ICC events.
- Other global partners for ICC include Emirates, Oppo and Nissan, he told newspersons on the announcement of the partnership.
J P Alex takes over as Airports Authority of India executive director
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) today said J P Alex has taken over as executive director of operations.
Current Affairs Updates for 20 January 2016
Sikkim becomes India’s first fully organic state
- Sikkim has formally become India’s first fully organic state after it successfully implemented organic farming practices on around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land.
UNWTO released World Tourism Barometer
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) on 18 January 2016 released the World Tourism Barometer, which reviewed trends in tourism at the regional and global level for 2015 and enumerated prospects for 2016.
World Bank to for reconstructing Indira Gandhi Zoological Park
- In a global first, the World Bank in third week of January 2016 decided to extend an assistance of 20 million US dollar to help reconstruct the Indira Gandhi Zoological Park (IGZP).
SBI offers loans for women entrepreneurs under MUDRA scheme
- The ‘MUDRA' loan for women entrepreneurs or Boutique Finance for Women Entrepreneurs – a special loan scheme under Prime Minister MUDRA Yojana – has been launched for catering to the financial needs of women entrepreneurs.
Jayalalithaa launches Amma Call Centre
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today launched a round-the-clock call centre for ensuring fast response to grievances. The ‘Amma Call Centre’, which will work all through the year, was launched by the Chief Minister here through video-conferencing.
ICC launches Cricket for Good & Team Swachh campaign in partnership with UNICEF and BCCI
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has reaffirmed its commitment to the Spirit of Cricket and bringing about positive social change through the sport, by launching Cricket for Good, it’s CSR Programmer, in association with UNICEF.
Filmmaker Anil Ganguly passed away
- Filmmaker Anil Ganguly passed away today at his residence here after a brief illness. Ganguly is a noted director and screenwriter, who worked in Hindi cinema from 1970s to the 90s.
Ministry of Shipping initiates Project Green Port
- Weighing in the environmental perspective for sustained growth, the Ministry of Shipping has started ‘Project Green Ports’.
- ‘Project Green Ports’ will have two verticals - one is ‘Green Ports Initiatives’ related to environmental issues and second is ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’.
India slips to 89th rank in global talent competitiveness
- India has slipped 11 places to rank 89th on a global index of talent competitiveness, a list which has been topped by Switzerland.
India has 2.36 lakh millionaires: report
- India is home to the fourth largest population of millionaires in the Asia-Pacific region, with 2.36 lakh such high net worth individuals, while Japan topped the list with 12.60 lakh people, a report says.
PM Modi Second most popular world leader on FB
- According to a study by PR firm Burson-Marsteller, PM Narendra Modi has over 31 million fans on his personal Narendra Modi page.
The Eagles' guitarist Glenn Frey passed away
- Glenn Frey, a founding member and guitarist of the Eagles, one of the most popular and commercially successful artists of the 1970s, passed away on 18 January 2016 in New York, the USA.
World’s oldest man dies at 112 in Japan
- The world’s oldest man, Yasutaro Koide, died today at the age of 112 in central Japan, a local official said. Koide, born just months before the Wright brothers made their first successful flight, died in hospital in the central Japanese city of Nagoya.
HaloSource appoints Tamal Chaudhuri as India head
- HaloSource Inc., a clean water technology solutions company trading on London’s Alternative Investment Market, has appointed Tamal Chaudhuri as General Manager, heading up the company’s India operations.
Current Affairs Updates for 19 January 2016
PayU appoints Laurent Le Moal as new global CEO
- PayU, one of the world's largest payment services platforms, announced the appointment of Laurent Le Moal as its new global CEO. Le Moal would be reporting directly to Naspers' Group CEO, Bob Van Dijk.
Ronnie O'Sullivan defeated Barry Hawkins to win sixth Snooker Masters title
- Ronnie O'Sullivan on 17 January 2016 won his sixth Snooker Masters title after defeating Barry Hawkins 10-1 in the final at the Alexandra Palace in London.
Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates ‘Hall of Nuclear Power’ in Delhi
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the “Hall of Nuclear Power” here today.
Delhi Acers defeated Mumbai Rockets to clinch Premier Badminton League title
- Delhi Acers on 17 January 2016 emerged victorious over Mumbai Rockets by 4-3 in the summit clash to clinch the Premier Badminton League (PBL) title. The match was held at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi.
Somnath Temple to invest in Gold Monetisation Scheme
- The Somnath Temple is all set to become Gujarat’s first temple to deposit its idle gold in the Gold Monetisation Scheme as its trustees including Prime Minister Narendra Modi have given their nod to invest the yellow metal reserves in the scheme.
Exim Bank inks MoU with AP Govt for promoting exports
- Exim Bank of India and the Government of Andhra Pradesh have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for promotion of exports from the state.
Mindtree appoints Ravanan as CEO, Natarajan as executive chairman
- Mindtree has appointed Rostow Ravanan as the CEO and managing director, and Krishnakumar Natarajan as the executive chairman of the company.
- Ravanan, 44, is a member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Institute of Company Secretaries of India and alumni of Harvard Business School.
SBT launches online platform for KSEB bill payments
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has teamed up with the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) to provide customers of the state utility online facility for remittance of electricity charges.
Guenter Butschek appointed as MD and CEO of Tata Motors Ltd
- India’s largest automaker (by revenue) Tata Motors Ltd’s has appointed Guenter Butschek as chief executive officer (CEO) and managing director (MD) of the company.
France declares economic emergency
- French President Francois Hollande has declared a state of economic emergency to redefine France’s economic and social model. Training half a million jobless workers, greater use of apprenticeships and aiding companies for hiring young workers.
Renowned Kannada filmmaker and lyricist Geethapriya passes away
- Renowned Kannada filmmaker and lyricist Geethapriya passed away after a battle with throat cancer in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
BSE launches algorithm trading test
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) Ltd has launched a new service for algorithm trading test facility for investors on its derivatives and equity platform. The new service has been launched in partnership with Mumbai based Symphony Fintech Solutions Pvt Ltd.
SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket successfully launches Jason-3 Ocean-monitoring satellite
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has successfully launched the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying Jason-3 Ocean-monitoring satellite. It was launched from California’s Vandenberg Air Force Base
Current Affairs Updates for 18 January 2016
India’s Dinesh Sharma elected to board of directors of AIIB
- India’s Dinesh Sharma has been elected to the board of directors of the China-sponsored Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). It should be noted that Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley is the designated governor of the AIIB from India.
Former Sikkim Governor Ventrapragada Rama Rao passes away
- Former Sikkim Governor and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ventrapragada Rama Rao passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana following an illness. Rama Rao was one of the founders of Jana Sangh (later became BJP) in Andhra Pradesh.
Tsai Ing-wen elected Taiwan's first female president
- Tsai Ing-wen has been elected Taiwan's first female president. Ms Tsai, 59, leads the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) that wants independence from China.
Bihar commercial Tax dept. and DGFT signed MoU to share Foreign Money statistics
- The Commercial tax department of Bihar has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) for sharing of foreign exchange realization data.
Indian author Anuradha Roy wins DSC Prize for 'Sleeping on Jupiter'
- Anuradha Roy has been announced the winner of the prestigious DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2016 for her novel 'Sleeping on Jupiter' at the Fairway Galle Literary Festival in Sri Lanka.
Iran sanctions lifted, India can import oil freely
- With international nuclear sanctions on Iran being lifted on Sunday, India will resume its unrestricted import of oil from the Persian Gulf nation.
Virat Kohli fastest to reach 7000 runs, 24 centuries in ODI cricket
- Virat Kohli added another feather to his hat as he became the fastest man to score 7000 one-day international (ODI) runs and the fastest to reach 24 centuries in the format.
- Kohli reached the milestone during the course of India's third ODI against Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday.
World’s largest Tricolour to be hoisted in Ranchi
- Ranchi is all going to beat a record set by a flag in Faridabad, Haryana in March 2015 by getting the world’s largest Tricolour flying atop the country’s tallest flagpole at the Pahari temple in Ranchi. The 99 by 66 feet measuring flag will be hoisted from a height of 293 feet.
Madhya Pradesh inks pact with IFC to set up world's largest solar plant
- The Madhya Pradesh government has inked a pact with IFC, member of the World Bank Group, to set up the world's largest solar energy plant with a capacity of 750 MW.
Current Affairs Updates for 17 January 2016
Chinese President Xi formally launched Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), in which India and 56 countries have joined as founding members, was formally opened here today by Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- 57 countries have joined as founding members, while the US and Japan have stayed out. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang will address the founding conference of the AIIB council later today.
World Bank to be main investor in Rail Development Fund
- The World Bank would be the anchor investor in the new Railway Development Fund, which would be used to fund the modernisation of Indian Railways, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has said.
Flipkart ties-up with Mahindra for KUV100 online bookings
- Online giant Flipkart has tied up with Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd to exclusively launch the latter's newest SUV- KUV100. Consumers can book the SUV on Flipkart from January 18th, 2016.
World Bank released World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends
- The World Bank on 14 January 2016 released a report titled World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends in Washington DC, the USA. The report explored the impact of the internet, mobile phones, and related technologies on economic development across the world including India.
Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone win big at Filmfare Awards
- At the Filmfare Awards held in Mumbai, Deepika won the Best actoress in female category for her film ‘Piku’ and Ranveer won best actor award for ‘BajiraoMastani’.
AwardWinnerBest ActorRanveer SinghBest ActressDeepika PadukoneBest FilmBajiraoMastaniBest DirectorSanjay Leela BhansaliBest Actor DebutSooraj PancholiBest Actress DebutBhumi PednekarCritics’ Choice Best FilmPikuCritics’ Choice Best ActorAmitabh BachchanCritics’ Choice Best ActressKangna RanautLifetime Achievement AwardMoushumi Chatterjee
Delhi-based writer Ankita Anand won the Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for work on Khap-panchayats
- An independent Delhi-based writer Ankita Anand on 14 January 2016 won the European Commission's prestigious Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for 2015 in Asia and the Pacific amateur category.
- She earned the award for her sensitive portrayal of life for young women facing the threat from khap-panchayats in Haryana with the title "Stirrings beneath the Peepul" published in the journal The Equator Linel.
ICC Rankings: India become No. 1 Test side in the world
- South Africa's 0-2 defeat in their home series against England has pushed them off the top of the ICC Test Rankings. Now India, with 110 rating points, are at No. 1, with Australia one rating point shy in second place.
WWE returns to India after 13 years
- Show is going to held at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on January 15 and 16.
- Two Indian wrestler Lovepreet and Satender, will debut.
- At the Filmfare Awards held in Mumbai, Deepika won the Best actoress in female category for her film ‘Piku’ and Ranveer won best actor award for ‘BajiraoMastani’.
Current Affairs Updates for 15 January 2016
Old vehicle scrapping policy within a month, says Nitin Gadkari
- A draft policy for scrapping old vehicles has already been prepared and will be presented to the Cabinet in a month, Road & Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari.
India ranked no. 1 in sending Scientists and Engineers to US
- India tops among all the Asian countries as being the birthplace for immigrant engineers and scientists in the US.
WHO declares end of Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the end of Ebola virus outbreak in West Africa after all known chains of transmission have been stopped.
India’s Grid-linked solar generation capacity crosses 5,000 MW mark
- Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has announced that India’s grid-connected solar power generation capacity has crossed the 5,000 Mega Watt (MW) mark.
‘Sahayog – Kaijin 2016’: India and Japan joint Coast Guard exercise
- The 15th edition of bilateral exercise by the Indian Coast Guard and its Japanese counterpart titled ‘Sahayog - Kaijin 2016’ has begun off the coast of Chennai, Tamil Nadu in the Bay of Bengal.
British actor Alan Rickman passes away
- British actor Alan Rickman passed away in London, England. He was suffering from cancer.His first big break in acting career was in 1985 as the Vicomte de Valmont in the stage production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
Nag anti-tank missile successful test fired
- Anti-tank missile Nag was successfully test fired at Mahajan Field Firing Range in Rajasthan. It is fire-and-forget anti-tank missile. HeliNa is a helicopter-launched version of Nag missile.
15 January: Indian Army Day
- Indian Army Day is being observed every year on 15 January in India. This year it will be the 68th Indian Army Day.
HRD Ministry inaugurates permanent campus of IISER in Thiruvananthapuram
- Union Government has inaugurated the first phase of permanent campus of the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) at Vithura in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- It was inaugurated by Union Human Resources Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani in presence of Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Current Affairs Updates for 14 January 2016
Basant Kumar Panda elected BJP's Odisha unit chief
- Senior BJP leader Basant Kumar Panda was on Thursday elected unopposed as the party's Odisha unit chief.
SBI Launches Wealth Management Service, 'Start-ups Branch'
- State Bank of India on Thursday became the first public sector lender to launch wealth management service, a space dominated by private and foreign players, to cater to fast-growing affluent segment of the country. The bank also inaugurated a dedicated branch for start-ups.
Union Government inaugurates Second Liquid Chemical Berth of Mumbai Port Trust
- Union Government has inaugurated Second Liquid Chemical Berth of Mumbai Port Trust (MbPT) at Pir Pau, Mumbai. The facility was inaugurated by Union Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari.
Kerala becomes first state to achieve 100% primary education
- Kerala has become the first Indian state to achieve 100 per cent primary education.
- Declaration to this effect was made by the Vice President Hamid Ansari during his speech at special ceremony organised at Thiruvananthapuram.
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Maldives for Health
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Maldives on cooperation in the field of Health.
President gives assent to The Sugar Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2015
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to the Sugar Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2015 to raise the ceiling of a cess as an excise duty on the production of sugar.
- The principal Act empowers central government to fix the rate of sugar cess from time to time.
India to join the International Energy Agency – Ocean Energy Systems
- India has decided to become member country of the International Energy Agency - Ocean Energy Systems (IEA-OES) to boost for country’s quest for tapping ocean energy sources.
Union Cabinet approves Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- The Union Cabinet has approved Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana, a new crop insurance scheme to boost farming sector in the country.
EPFO wins National Award on e-Governance for UAN
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has won the National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching the Universal Account Number (UAN).
Lt Gen JFR Jacob, 1971 India-Pakistan war hero passes away
- Jacob-Farj-Rafael “JFR” Jacob (Retired Lieutenant General), a key architect in India’s victory in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War passed away in New Delhi.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has launched the high speed 4G (Fourth Generation) telecom services at Chandigarh in Punjab circle . BSNL 4G network will be able to provide high speed data upto 100 Mbps. BSNL has 4G spectrum across India except in states like Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kolkata.
RDL inks MoU with AP Government to set up naval facility at Visakhapatnam
- Reliance Defence Ltd (RDL) has inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Andhra Pradesh Government to set up a world class naval facility in the state.
- Announcement was made by Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu during the CII Partnership Summit titled ‘Sunrise Andhra Pradesh Investment Meet’ in Visakhapatnam.
Government constitutes Arvind Panagariya committee to fast-track bullet train project
- Union Government has constituted a committee to fast track the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor, meant for connecting two cities with bullet trains. It will be 500km long and will be connecting both trains at the cost of the project will be 98,000 crore rupees. Japan will invest 78, 000 crore rupees making it largest foreign investment in railway sector of India.
Current Affairs Updates for 13 January 2016
Supreme Court stays Centre's notification allowing Jallikattu
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed the Centre's decision which permitted the controversial bull-taming sport ‘Jallikattu’ in Tamil Nadu.
- The petition was filed by Animal Welfare Board of India, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India and a Bangalore-based NGO.
IMD changes terminology in weather forecasting
- The state forecaster India Meteorological Department (IMD) has decided to change the terminology in weather forecasting.
- "Drought" word is replaced by "Deficient years" and "Large Deficient years".
Classification all-India rainfall into five categories:
Normal : ± 10 per cent of the long period average (lpa)
Below normal : Rainfall lower than 10 per cent below average of the lpa.
Above normal : Rainfall greater than 10 per cent above average of the lpa.
Deficient year : Rainfall deficit between 10 and 20 per cent up to 40 per cent of India’s spatial area.
Large deficient year : Rainfall deficit of over 10 per cent across more than 40 per cent of India’s area.
Current Affairs Updates for 12 January 2016
Lionel Messi wins 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or award
- Lionel Messi from Argentina has won the 2016 FIFA Ballon d’Or Award.
- The FIFA Ballon d’Or has been presenting for the sixth time since the merging of the FIFA World Player of the Year award and France Football’s Ballon d’Or award in 2010. it is awarded to the male player, based upon highest votes secured by him from national team coaches and captains, as well as journalists from around the world.
CIRB Hisar becomes second institute to clone buffalo in India
- Scientists at the Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes (CIRB) in Hisar, Haryana have successfully produced a cloned buffalo offspring named ‘Cirb Gaurav’. CIRB becomes the India’s second and world’s third institute to produce cloned buffalo. Karnal (Haryana) based National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) was the India’s first institute to produce a cloned calf.
73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards
- The 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards ceremony was organized at Beverly Hills, California, United States (US). Golden Globe Awards are the annual awards that honour the best in Motion Pictures and Television for the previous year.
DAC approves major changes in Defence Procurement Procedure
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has approved major changes in the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DDP) 2016.
India-Australia Social Security Agreement comes into operation
- India-Australia social security Agreement signed between both countries came into operation. It will strengthen India-Australia relationship as 397,000 Indian-born people living in Australia and making substantial contribution.
First female F1 driver Maria Teresa de Filippis passes away
- The first female F1 (Formula One) driver Maria Teresa de Filippis passed away on 8 January 2016 in Italy. She was 89. She was born on 11 November 1926 in Naples, Italy. She had stated her racing career at the age of 22 and had won first race on a 10 km drive between Salerno and Cava de’ Tirreni by driving a Fiat 500.She was also a founding member of the Maserati Club and later on she become its President.
Music Legend David Bowie passes away
- Music Legend David Bowie passed away on 10 January 2015 in New York, United States following a battle with liver cancer. He was 69. David Bowie was born as David Robert Jones on 8 January 1947 in London, England. He has won two Grammy Awards and three Brit Awards.
Current Affairs Updates for 11 January 2016
Binny Bansal Flipkart CEO in a top management churn
Flipkart Monday appointed Binny Bansal as the Chief Executive Officer and Sachin Bansal as the Executive Chairman. While, Binny as the CEO will now be responsible for operationally driving the company and be accountable for Flipkart's overall performance.
Letv set to launch world’s first smartphone with Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chipset
- Chinese internet conglomerate Letv said on Saturday it would soon launch a series of world’s first smartphones powered by the Snapdragon 820 processor from Qualcomm Technologies.Additionally, Letv will be the first to roll out commercial devices integrating 802.1 1ad multi-band wireless connectivity with up to 4.6 Gbps speeds and nearly uncompressed content transfer.
Ripples in galaxy help locate Milky Way's dark-matter satellites
- Ripples in galaxy help locate Milky Way's dark-matter satellites - Astronomers have predicted that three bright effervescent stars on the periphery of Milky Way Galaxy could be signals from an invisible dwarf galaxy.
24th edition of New Delhi World Book Fair begins
- The 24th edition of New Delhi World Book Fair began at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani. The message of India-China partnership for the New Delhi Book Fair 2016 is “Renaissance of Civilizations- Understanding through exchanges“.
Vikas Thapar appointed as Vice President of Micromax
- Micromax has appointed Vikas Thapar as its Vice-President for Finance. Thapar was executive director at Avocado Management Services. He also has worked with Bharti Airtel, One97 Communications (PayTm) and Morepen Laboratories.
Sailesh appointed as Registrar General and Census Commissioner
- Senior IAS officer Sailesh has been appointed as Registrar General and Census Commissioner (RGCC) of India. His appointment was confirmed by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 Chennai Open title of tennis
- World No. 4 Stanislas Wawrinka from Switzerland has won the 2016 Chennai Open title of tennis. This was his third consecutive ATP Chennai Open title for Wawrinka (won in 2014, 2015 and 2016) and overall fourth, first won it in 2011. With this win, Wawrinka pocketed US $ 75,700 and won 250 ranking points.
Milos Raonic wins 2016 WTA Brisbane International Tennis trophy
- World No. 14 Milos Raonic from Canada has won the 2016 WTA Brisbane International Tennis trophy in the men’s single category. It is Milos Raonic overall 8th career title and 1st of the 2016 season.
Noted Hindi writer and journalist Ravindra Kalia passes away
- Noted Hindi writer and journalist Ravindra Kalia passed away in New Delhi after suffering from liver cirrhosis. He was 78. Ravindra Kalia was born on November 11, 1938 in Jalandhar, Punjab. He was mainly famous for writing stories, novels, memoirs and sarcasm.
NASA’s Kepler spacecraft finds 100 new alien planets orbiting other stars
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA’s) revamped planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has discovered more than 100 planets orbiting other stars.
Current Affairs Updates for 10 January 2016
Governor’s rule imposed in Jammu and Kashmir
- Governor’s rule has been imposed in the state of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) for sixth time as the process of formation new government following the death of Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed is taking some time.
- The President cleared the recommendation of the Union home ministry for imposing governor's rule on the basis of a recommendation from J-K governor N N Vohra.
- Governor’s Rule can be imposed only after the consent of the President of India in case of failure of constitutional machinery.
Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis wins Brisbane international tennis championship 2016
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis have won the 2016 WTA Brisbane International Tennis trophy in the women’s doubles category.
- The duo won 26 matchs in a row
- It was their sixth title in a row after US Open, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Beijing and WTA.
President signs ordinance to amend Enemy Property Act
- The ordinance amends the provisions of the Act declaring that all "enemy property" vested in the 'custodian' would continue to vest in the custodian irrespective of the death or extinction of the enemy.
- The custodian of enemy property in the country is an Indian government department that is empowered to appropriate property in India owned by Pakistani nationals.
- The ordinance amends the provisions of the Act declaring that all "enemy property" vested in the 'custodian' would continue to vest in the custodian irrespective of the death or extinction of the enemy.
Enemy property - In the wake of the two India-Pakistan wars in 1965 and 1971, there was migration of people from India to Pakistan. Their properties are known as enemy property.
Current Affairs Updates for 9 January 2016
Amitabh Bachchan, Ranveer Singh share Best Actor award
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan late on Friday shared the Best Actor award (male) with Ranveer Singh at the Screen Award 2016. Big B was honoured for his role in 'Piku', Ranveer was adjudged the best actor for his spectacular work in 'Bajirao Mastani'.
Jammu And Kashmir Unlikely To Get A Chief Minister Even Next Week
- Mehbooba Mufti has been chosen by the PDP-led alliance to be Jammu and Kashmir's first woman chief minister. Mr Sayeed died on Thursday morning and sources have told NDTV that his daughter and People's Democratic Party or PDP president Mebhooba Mufti - chosen as the next chief minister by the ruling coalition led by the party - is not willing to take oath immediately.
Oil Ministry launches online initiative to improve LPG customer service
- Natural Gas has launched an online initiative to seek suggestions from Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) consumers across the country. The initiative is part of steps being taken to observe 2016 as the 'Year of LPG Consumers'.
RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan awarded 2016 Central Banker of the Year Award
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan has been conferred with the Central Banker of the Year Award (Global and Asia Pacific) for year 2016. The award has been bestowed upon him by the The Banker, a monthly publication of Financial Times Group.
Punjab gave ‘clean chit’ to suspect SP
- The Home Ministry sources, meanwhile, said Salwinder Singh would be quizzed on the suspected politico-police nexus with smugglers who may have helped the terrorists sneak into India via the narcotics route.
CM Mamata woos investors at Bengal business summit
- The Bengal Global Business Summit 2016, with finance minister Arun Jaitley in attendance, she claimed her government would return to power in the assembly elections slated for April-May. The chief minister claimed that Bengal Global Business Summit 2015 had tied up investment worth Rs 2.43 lakh crore
Devender Kumar Sikri appointed as Chairman of CCI
- Union Government has appointed former IAS Devender Kumar Sikri as Chairman of Competition Commission of India (CCI). Devender Kumar Sikri is a former IAS officer of Gujarat cadre. He has held various positions in his cadre state Gujarat as well as in Center.
Government reappoints Urjit Patel as deputy governor of RBI for 3 years
- The government on Friday reappointed Urjit Patel, who headed a committee that paved the way for the proposed monetary policy committee, as the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a second time for a three-year term.
- Patel joined the central bank on January 11, 2013, months before Raghuram Rajan took charge as the Governor, and has been heading the monetary policy department. Rajan and Patel had earlier worked together in the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington.
Current Affairs Updates for 8 January 2016
Government decides to merge Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs with MEA
- Union Government has decided to merge Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) with the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). This decision has been taken to avoid duplication of work and to improve efficiency in line with Union Government’s broad principle of minimum government, maximum governance.
Sam Pitroda appointed as Technical Advisor of Odisha Government
- Sam Pitroda has been appointed as Technology Advisor to the Odisha Government. He has been appointed as the technology adviser for development of telecom, electronics, Information Technology, IT Enabled Services sectors of the state. With this appointment he will get the rank of a Cabinet Minister.
ICICI Bank partners with FINO PayTech for payments bank space
- India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has partnered with FINO PayTech to foray into the payments bank space. ICICI Group has purchased about 16 per cent stake in the FINO PayTech making it one of the largest domestic shareholder.
Union Government launches River Information System
- India’s first River Information System (RIS) was launched by Union Government facilitate safe and accurate Inland Waterway navigation.
India to grow at 7.8% in year 2016: World Bank Report
- The Global Economic Prospect report published recently by the World Bank (WB) has projected a robust 7.8 per cent growth for the Indian economy in the year 2016. It will grow at a 7.9 per cent growth in the next two years 2017 and 2018.
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister, dies
- Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, 79, passed away on Thursday at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi. The chief minister breathed his last around 7.30am, education minister and spokesman for government Nayeem Akhter said.
India-France military exercise Shakti-2016 begins
- India and France have started their eight-day counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency bilateral military exercise Shakti-2016 in Rajasthan.
Lenovo to kill Motorola Brand
- Lenovo is going to kill Motorola brand. All the Motorola products will be renamed as "Lenovo Moto".
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 launched in India
- Microsoft has put three configuration options of the Surface Pro 4 up for pre-order. The base variant is priced at Rs.89,990 (Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage), while the mid-range model costs Rs.1,20,990 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage). The top of the line variant will cost Rs.1,44,990 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage). In India, the Surface Pro 4 is up for pre-order with the Core i5 and Core i7 processor options.
Delhi govt in favor of extending odd-even rule beyond Jan 15, HC reserves order
- The Delhi government must be permitted to continue with the odd-even vehicle rationing scheme and if these adverse weather conditions continue, then our recommendation is that the programmer should also be continued beyond 15 days," said senior advocate Harish Salve.
Current Affairs Updates for 7 January 2016
Union Cabinet gives nod to MoU with Bangladesh for operation of traditional haats
- The Union cabinet has given its ex-post-facto approval to Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bangladesh for Mode of Operation of Border haats on India-Bangladesh Border signed in 2010. The Border Haats in Indian Language means Rural Market.
Andhra Bank launches IMPS for money transfer
- Andhra Bank has launched Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) at all its branches across the country to provide inter-bank electronic fund transfer service. The customer-friendly service was launched by Andhra Bank in association with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
Union Cabinet gives nod to Civil Aviation MoU between India and Singapore
The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Singapore on cooperation in the field of civil aviation.
Kate Atkinson wins 2015 Costa Novel Award
- The British writer, Kate Atkinson has won the 2015 Costa novel award for her novel “A God in Ruins”, the companion her previous novel to ‘Life After Life’.
Apurvi Chandela set world record in 10m air rifle at Swedish Cup Grand Prix
- Indian ace shooter Apurvi Chandela has set a new world record in the women’s 10 meter air rifle event at the 2015 Swedish Cup Grand Prix. She set the new record after winning gold medal in the women’s 10 metre air rifle event shooting score of 211.2. Her winning score has surpassed previous world record of 211 score set by Chinese Olympic gold medallist Yi Siling. Chandela has already qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Union Government launches Ganga Gram Yojana
- The Union Government has launched Ganga Gram Yojana to develop 1600 villages in Uttar Pradesh (UP) situated along the banks of Ganga River. The Ganga Gram Yojana, 200 villages in UP have been selected.
Union Cabinet approves creation of a Credit Guarantee Fund for MUDRA loans
- The Union Cabinet has approved creation of a Credit Guarantee Fund (CGF) for Micro Units Development Refinance Agency (MUDRA) loans. The CGF is expected to guarantee more than 1,00,000 crore rupees worth of loans to micro and small units in the first instance.
Current Affairs Updates for 6 January 2016
Pranav Dhanawade hits world record by scoring 1009 runs at school level tournament
- 15-year-old cricketer Pranav Dhanawade created a world record by scoring 1009 runs (not out) in HT Bhandari Cup, an under-16 inter-school tournament held in Mumbai (Maharashtra). He also has broken a century-old cricketing record becoming the first batsman to score 1000-plus runs in an innings in any form of cricket.
Reliance capital gets CCI nod to acquire Goldman Sach’s fund arm
- Reliance Capital Asset Management (RCAM) has received nod from Competition Commission of India (CCI) to acquire Goldman Sachs’s mutual funds and exchange-traded funds business in India.
Sri Lanka, Pakistan agree to expand FTA
- Sri Lanka & Pakistan have agreed to expand their bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) by inclusion of services and investment.
Former CJI SH Kapadia passes away
- Former Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sarosh Homi Kapadia passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He was 68 years. His funeral was held as per Parsi tradition at Tower of Silence at Kemps Corner, South Mumbai. Kapadia was born on 29 September 1947. He had graduated from Government Law College, Mumbai.
Union Government abolishes export duty on iron ore pellets
- The Union Government has abolished export duty on iron ore pellets in order to make the commodity more competitive amid weakening prices due to subdued demand. In this regard Central Board of Excise and Custom (CBEC) has issued a notification mentioning that export duty on iron ore pellets has been reduced to zero from 5 per cent.
Syed Kirmani conferred with 2015 Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Former Cricketer Syed Kirmani was honoured with the Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award in Mumbai (Maharashtra) for his contribution to Indian cricket. He was a member of the Indian team that won the World Cup in 1983 for the first time
Union Government reserves 33% posts of women constables in CAPFs
- The Union Government has reserved 33 per cent posts of Constables for women in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) to enhance their representation. The proposal in this regard shall come into effect with immediate effect.
Current Affairs Updates for 5 January 2016
Radha Krishna Mathur sworn in as the 8th Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India
- Radha Krishna Mathur was on 4 January, 2016 sworn in as the 8th Chief Information Commissioner of India by President Pranab Mukherjee. Radha Krishna Mathur was former Defense Secretary. Vijai Shrama completed his tenure on 1 December, 2015. Mathur succeeded Vijai Sharma.
Penalty of Rs. One Crore imposed on State Bank of Travancore by RBI
- RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs. One Crore on State Bank of Travancore because of violation of some of RBI's instructions including violation of instructions of Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC).
Abid Ali Z. Neemuchwala appointed as new CEO of WIPRO
- Abid Ali Z. Neemuchwala is appointed as new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of WIPRO. He is also appointed as member of the Board of the company. Prior to this appointment Neemuchwala was serving as the COO (Chief Operating Officer) of the company since April 2015. Before joining Wipro, Neemuchwala was working with India's largest IT exporter TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) for 23 years.
MBRL Pinaka II successfully test fired at Pokhran
- In the last week of December 2015, ARDE (Amament Research and Development Estabishment) successfully test fired Pinaka II multi barel rocket launcher (MBRL) system. Pinaka is an unguided rocket system. Range of Pinaka II is 20 km more than its first version (Pinaka I). which has a 40 km range. During Kargil war while neutralizing the mountain peaks off the enemy, the system proved its mettle.
Dr. Gyanendra D Bandgaiyan appointed as DG of National Centre for Good Governance
- On 30 December 2015, The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of Dr. Gyanendra D Bandgaiyan as the Director General of the National Centre for Good Governance. The 54 year old Bandgaiyan is a fomer IAS officer of the Union Territories cadre. He belongs to Madhya Pradesh.
India-Nepal friendship bus service resumes after gap of 27 years
- India and Nepal was flagged off via Champawat district in Uttarakhand after a gap of 27 years. The resumed bus service has been regularised and will run between Kanchanpur in Nepal close to the Banbasa border in Champawat district and Anand Vihar in New Delhi. People travelling in these buses do not require any special documents to travel. These buses are air conditioned and provide free wi-fi connectivity to passengers.
Current Affairs Updates for 4 January 2016
Atul Sobti appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of BHEL
- On 1 January, 2016 Atul Sobti took charge as CMD of state - owned power equipment makeer BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited) for 5 years period. Union Government approvied his appointement as CMD of BHEL in September 2015.
SAFF won by INDIA
- India won South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship for 7th time. In the final match, India defeated Afghanistan by 2 - 1. Jeje Lalpekhlua and Sunil Chhetri had scored goals for India. Sunil Chhetri is the captain of Indian Team.
e- Vahan Bima Scheme launched by Telangana Government
- On 2 January 2016, The Government of Telangana launched e- Vahan Bima Scheme. The scheme was launched by Information Technology Minister K T Rama Rao in the presence of T S Vijayan, Chairman of IRDA (Insurance Regulatory Development Authority. Telegana became the first state in the country to legally accept insurance policy in digital form with the launch of this scheme. The main purpose of scheme is to issue motor insurance policy in digital form.
Javed Ahmed appointed as DGP of Uttar Pradesh
- On 1 January 2016, Javed Ahmed appointed as Director General of Police (DGP) of Uttar Pradesh. Javed Ahmed is a 1984 batch Indian Police Service Officer. Prior to appointment of DGP, he was serving as the Director General of Railways.
Arunima Sinha scaled Mount Aconcagua in Argentina
- Arunima Sinha (India's star amputee mountaineer) has successfully scaled Mount Aconcagua in Argentina. It was her 5th successful summit. Arunima started her mission on the morning of 12 December 2015 and hoisted the Indian tricolour on 25 December 2015. With this, she created World record by becoming First Female amputee to climb 5 Mountains of the World. Mt. Aconcagua (6,960.8 metres) is the highest mountain outside Asia and is also known as second Everest.
Current Affairs Updates for 3 January 2016
Kamlesh Chandra Committee formed by the Govt. of India
- Kamlesh Chandra Committee formed by the Govt. of India to study the wage structure of Gramin Dak Sevaks in Department of Posts (DoP) on 01st January 2016.
Shyam Benegal Committee formed by the Govt. of India
- Shyam Benegal Committee formed by the Govt. of India to revamp the Censor Board of Film Censors (CBFC) on 01st January 2016 while Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra and Bhawana Somaaya etc. became members of the Committee.
Raptor MoU approved by the Govt. of India
- MoU for the conservation of migratory birds of prey in Africa and Eurasia has approved by the Govt. of India on 30th December 2015. It is important to noting that the MoU also known as ‘Rapto MoU’.
Haryana set the educational qualification for municipal polls
- The State Government of Haryana set the educational qualification for municipal polls on 29th December 2015 as approved in the State Cabinet meeting chaired by Manohar Lal Khattar. Now the minimum qualification became matric for male and middle for females candidates.
Govt. of India linked the LPG subsidy to income
- Govt. of India linked the LPG subsidy to income on 28th December 2015. Now the consumer or his/her spouse has taxable income of more than Rs.10 Lakh, he/she will not get the cylinder on subsidy rate.
Japan and South Korea signed the agreement on ‘Issue of Comfort Women’
- Japan and South Korea signed the agreement on ‘Issue of Comfort Women’ on 28th December 2015 with the aim to resolve the dispute over women of Korea who used as sex slaves by soldiers of Japan during the World War-II.
Jetha Bharwad appointed as 1st Vice-Chairman of GCMMF
- Jetha Bharwad appointed as 1st Vice-Chairman of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) on 29th December 2015. GCMMF is a largest food products marketing organization of India.
Current Affairs Updates for 2 January 2016
Sanjay Subrahmanyam awarded with Sangita Kalanidhi Award
- Sanjay Subrahmanyam awarded with Sangita Kalanidhi Award 2015 on 01st January 2016. Earlier, in the year 2013, he was awarded with Gaana Padhmam, Vani Kala Sudhakara in the year 2010 and Kalaimamani in the year 2006 by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
DAVA Project awarded with e-Asia Award by APCTF
- Drug Authentication and Verification Application (DAVA) Project awarded with e-Asia Award on 01st January 2016 as announced by Asia Pacific Council for Trade Facilitation (APCTF).
Harpal Singh Kumar awarded with Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth-II
- Harpal Singh Kumar, an Indian origin awarded with Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth-II on 01st January 2016. He is the founder of Nexan Group which was established in the year 1997.
Virat Kohli awarded with Polly Umrigar Award
- BCCI annual awards 2014-15 announced on 01st January 2016. Virat Kohli awarded with Polly Umrigar Award while Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) awarded with Best Overall Performance.
Govt. of India signed an agreement with World Bank
- Govt. of India signed an agreement with World Bank on 01st January 2016 with the aim to fund education of minorities especially for the scheme/campaign ‘Nai Manzil’.
Petronet LNG of India signed an agreement with RasGas of Qatar
- Petronet LNG of India signed an agreement with RasGas of Qatar for the purpose to import gas at a low price. Under the guidelines of agreement, RasGas will provide LNG at 6-7 dollar per million British thermal units with effect from 01st January 2016.
Govt. of India approved the construction of 69 bridges in Myanmar
- Govt. of India approved the construction of 69 bridges on Tamu-Kyigone-Kalewa (TKK) road in Myanmar. It is considered as part of the Trilateral Highway.
Current Affairs Updates for 1 January 2016
Dr.Gyanendra D. Bandgaiyan appointed as DG of National Centre for Good Governance
- Dr.Gyanendra D. Bandgaiyan appointed as Director General of National Centre for Good Governance on 30th December 2015 his appointment approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
Bjorn Isberg appointed as Tournament Director of Hockey India League (HIL)
- Bjorn Isberg appointed as Tournament Director of Hockey India League (HIL) on 30th December 2015 while Muthukumar Balakrisnan appointed as Assistant Tournament Director of HIL.
Laxmi Ratan Shukla retired from all forms of Cricket
- Laxmi Ratan Shukla retired from all forms of Cricket as announced by him on 30th December 2015. He was the member of IPL teams Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Daredevils and Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Rakhi Haldar and Kavita Devi won Gold Medal in National Weightlifting Championship
- Rakhi Haldar and Kavita Devi won Gold Medal in National Weightlifting Championship on 29th December 2015 in women’s 75 kg and 95 kg category respectively.
‘ASEAN Economic Community’ (AEC) launched by ASEAN
- The trade bloc namely ‘ASEAN Economic Community’ (AEC) launched by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on 31st December 2015 with the aim to boost the economic ties among the 10 member countries of the ASEAN.
PM Modi laid the foundation stone of 14 lane Delhi-Meerut expressway
- On 31st December 2015, PM Modi laid the foundation stone of 14 lane Delhi-Meerut expressway worth Rs.7500 Crore with the aim to decongest the traffic in Delhi.
Adnan Sami granted the Indian Citizenship
- Adnan Sami, the famous Artist and Singer of Pakistan, granted the Indian Citizenship on 01st January 2016. He had visited India on 13th March 2001 for the first time on Visitor’s Visa.
Current Affairs Updates for 31 December 2015
LRSAM successfully test fired ‘Barak 8’ from INS Kolkata
- Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LRSAM) ‘Barak 8’ successfully test fired from INS Kolkata on 29th December 2015 as jointly carried out by Indian Navy, DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries.
Mangesh Padgaonkar, famous Poet of Marathi language, died
- Mangesh Padgaonkar, famous Poet of Marathi language, died on 29th December 2015. He was awarded with Sahitya Academy Award in the year 1980 for the collection of poems ‘Salam’.
Govt. of India announced assistance of Rs.6794 Crore to three drought hit States
- Govt. of India announced assistance of Rs.6794 Crore to three drought hit States i.e. Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh. Moreover, 7 more State Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh declared as drought hit States in the year 2015.
Giorgi Kvirikashvili became 12th Prime Minister of Georgia
- Giorgi Kvirikashvili became 12th Prime Minister of Georgia on 29th December 2015. He was Vice Prime Minister of Georgia since 2013. Earlier, in September 2015 he appointed Foreign Affairs Minister of the country.
‘Kargil: Turning the Tide’ written by Lieutenant General Mohinder Puri, released
- The book titled as ‘Kargil: Turning the Tide’ written by Lieutenant General Mohinder Puri, released on 29th December 2015. The book provides accounts from the war held between India and Pakistan in the year 1999 known as ‘Kargil War’.
‘National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020’ launched
- Govt. of India launched the ‘National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020’ on 30th December 2015 with the aim to make India as a world class bio-manufacturing hub.
BHEL commissioned Prayagraj Power Project Unit in UP
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) commissioned Prayagraj Power Project Unit of 660 MW in Uttar Pradesh on 30th December 2015. It became 1st supercritical thermal unit to be commissioned in the State.
Russia signed an agreement with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Russia signed an agreement with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) on 29th December 2015 with the aim to build 200 Kamov 226T Helicopter under the guidelines of ‘Make in India’.
Reliance Jio launched 4G telecom service
- Reliance Jio launched 4G telecom service on 28th December 2015 by using Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology. The service launched on the eve of 83rd birth anniversary of Dhirubhai Ambani.
Current Affairs Updates for 30 December 2015
Raghuveer Chaudhary awarded with Jnanpith Award 2015
- Raghuveer Chaudhary, famous Litterateur of Gujarat awarded with Jnanpith Award 2015 on 28th December 2015. He became 4th Litterateur from Gujarat who awarded with this award.
Gujarat won 1st edition of Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gujarat won 1st edition of Vijay Hazare Trophy on 28th December 2015 after defeating Delhi. Vijay Hazare Trophy is a Cricket trophy played annually.
Haskell Wexler, famous Cinematographer of USA, died
- Haskell Wexler, famous Cinematographer of USA, died on 27th December 2015. He was awarded with Oscar Award in the year 1966 for film ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf’.
General Om Prakash Malhotra, former Chief of Army, died
- General Om Prakash Malhotra, former Chief of Army and also the former Governor of Punjab, died on 29th December 2015. He was remained Ambassador of India to Indonesia during the period 1981-1984.
China launched Gaofen-4, the Earth observation satellite
- Gaofen-4, the Earth observation satellite, successfully launched by China on 29th December 2015 from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre, Sichuan. It is a part of China High-resolution Earth Observation System (CHEOS).
18th Indian-Iran Joint Commission meeting held in New Delhi
- 18th Indian-Iran Joint Commission meeting held in New Delhi on 28th December 2015 to review the bilateral cooperation between both the countries as chaired by External Affairs Minister of India Sushma Swaraj and Economic Affairs Minister of Iran Ali Tayebnia.
‘Guinea’ declared as Ebola free country
- The country ‘Guinea’ declared as Ebola free country on 29th December 2015. Now, almost all the West African countries became Ebola free except Liberia. Earlier, the country ‘Sierra Leone’ was declared as Ebola free in November 2015.
Lallianzuala Chhangte became the youngest ever goal-scorer of India
- Lallianzuala Chhangte of Mizoram became the youngest ever goal-scorer of India on 27th December 2015. He scored 2 goals against Nepl in South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup.
Current Affairs Updates for 29 December 2015
WCD Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi launched the scheme ‘e-office’
- Ministry of Women and Child Development launched ‘e-office’ on 27th December 2015 as launched Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi.
Amitabh Kant appointed as CEO of NITI Aayog
- Amitabh Kant appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog on 27th December 2015 by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
Karan Adani appointed as CEO of APSEZ
- Karan Adani appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) on 28th December 2015. He is the eldest son of Gautam Adani, founder of Adani Group.
Globe Soccer Awards 2015 announced in UAE
- Globe Soccer Awards 2015 announced on 27th December 2015. Lionel Messi of Argentina awarded with Best Player of the Year while Marc Wilmots of Belgium awarded with Best Coach of the Year.
Andhra Pradesh signed an agreement with Microsoft India
- State Govt. of Andhra Pradesh signed an agreement with Microsoft India on 28th December 2015 with the aim to improve the use of information and communication technologies.
Iraq liberated the city ‘Ramadi’ from ISIS
- Iraq claimed to have liberated the city ‘Ramadi’ from Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on 28th December 2015 as the information revealed by Army Spokesman of Iraq Brig Gen. Yahya Rasul.
‘Iranshah Utsav’ concluded in Udavada, Gujarat
- Three days ‘Iranshah Utsav’ of Parsi community concluded on 27th December 2015. The Utsav was held at Udavada, Gujarat. The town is located near Valsad and the 1st ‘Atash Behram’ of the country.
Revanta Mumbai Garuda won the 1st edition of PWL
- Revanta Mumbai Garuda won the 1st edition of Pro Wrestling League (PWL) on 27th December 2015 in the event held in Delhi. Narsingh Yadav of Bengaluru Yodhas awarded with Man Wrestler of the Series while Odunayo Adekuoroye of Revanta Mumbai Garuda awarded with Woman Wrestler of the Series.
Current Affairs Updates for 28 December 2015
‘Astra’ successfully tested by DRDO
- The missile namely ‘Astra’ successfully tested by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) on 27th December 2015. It is the radar homing missile.
Shiva Keshavan won Silver Medal at Asian Luge Championship
- Shiva Keshavan of India won Silver Medal at Asian Luge Championship on 27th December 2015 while Hidenari Kanayama of Japan won the Gold Medal.
Indian Oil Corp. ranked at No.1 position
- According to the list of 500 Companies in India, Indian Oil Corp. ranked at No.1 position followed by Reliance Industries and Tata Motors. The list released by ‘Fortune’ Magazine.
Former Chief Justice of Karnataka and Kerala High Court, V.S. Malimath, died
- Former Chief Justice of Karnataka and Kerala High Court, Justice V.S. Malimath, died on 22nd December 2015. He was also served as Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
George Clayton Johnson, the famous Science fiction Writer of USA, died
- George Clayton Johnson, the famous Science fiction Writer of USA, died on 27th December 2015. He was known for his novel ‘Logan’s Run’.
Satyavati Berera became 1st woman COO of Big 4 in India
- Satyavati Berera became 1st woman Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Big 4 in India. It is important to noting that Big 4 are the four largest international professional services networks known as ‘Big 4’.
China passed its 1st law against the domestic violence
- Parliament of China passed its 1st law against the domestic violence on 26th December 2015. China also passed its 1st Counter-terrorism law. On this day, China also abandoned its One Child Policy.
Current Affairs Updates for 27 December 2015
Sadhna Shivdasani, famous Bollywood Actor, died
- Sadhna Shivdasani, famous Bollywood Actor, died on 25th December 2015. She became highest paid actress during the period 1962-65 with Vyjanthimal. She was awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award by IIFA in the year 2002.
PM Modi inaugurated new building of Afghanistan Parliament
- PM Modi inaugurated new building of Afghanistan Parliament established in its Capital Kabul as built by India. It is important to noting that its 1st visit of PM Modi after becoming PM.
Tech Mahindra launched the contactless wallet called as ‘MoboMoney’
- Tech Mahindra launched the contactless wallet called as ‘MoboMoney’ on 25th December 2015 for Indian masses.
India signed 16 agreements with Russia
- India signed 16 agreements with Russia in various sectors during the official visit of PM Modi on 24th December 2015. Important agreements are Agreement on Cooperation in Helicopter Engineering and on Technical Cooperation in Railway Sector etc.
Govt. of Delhi released blueprint of Odd-Even Formula
- Govt. of Delhi released blueprint of Odd-Even Formula on 24th December 2015 for its road-rationing plan to curb the pollution level in the city. Under the guidelines of Odd-Even Formula cars having number odd and even numbers, will run on odd and even dates only.
Indian Navy conducted large scale fleet exercise on Eastern Seaboard
- Indian Navy conducted large scale fleet exercise on Eastern Seaboard on 23rd December 2015 with the aim to maintain high levels of combat readiness. The exercise held including with Nuclear submarine Chakra and units from Andaman and Nicobar Command.
Eel called as ‘Gymnothorax Mishrai’ discovered in Medinipur, West Bengal
- New species of Eel called as ‘Gymnothorax Mishrai’ discovered along the coast of Digha in Medinipur, West Bengal as discovered by the Scientists of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
Current Affairs Updates for 26 December 2015
Seychelles allowed India to build Naval Base on its Assumption Island
- Seychelles allowed India to build Naval Base on its Assumption Island in the Indian Ocean region on 24th December 2015. It will be used by both the countries.
Chilukoti Kashi Viswanath, senior Telugu Actor, died
- Chilukoti Kashi Viswanath, senior Telugu Actor, died on 22nd December 2015. He was awarded with Sahitya Academy Award in the year 1980 and also awarded with Nandi Awards for his play Kala Sagar.
CCEA approved to invest Rs.5000 Crore by ONGC Videsh
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved to invest Rs.5000 Crore by Oil and Natural Gas Company Limited Videsh with the aim to strengthen the capital base of ONGC Videsh.
RBI launched a dedicated helpline for start-ups on Forex Matters
- RBI launched a dedicated helpline for start-ups on Forex Matters in India on 22nd December 2015. It is important to noting that Cross-border transactions of Indians are subject to the regulatory regime.
Bihar approved the Patna Metro Rail Project
- On 22nd December 2015, CM of Bihar Nitish Kumar approved the project of Patna Metro Rail. The project aims at two corridors in the 1st phase which will cover about 31 km.
Govt. of India approved the Lucknow Metro Rail Project Phase-1 A
- Govt. of India approved the Lucknow Metro Rail Project Phase-1 A. The project will cover about 22.878 km and 22 stations. The project will cost about Rs.6928 Crore.
Zimbabwe adopted the currency of China ‘Yuan’
- Zimbabwe adopted the currency of China ‘Yuan’ as its main currency as announced by Finance Minister of Zimbabwe Patrick Chinamasa on 21st December 2015.
Current Affairs Updates for 25 December 2015
‘Atal Setu’ inaugurated in the State of Jammu and Kashmir
- 1st Cable bridge of North India ‘Atal Setu’ inaugurated in the State of Jammu and Kashmir on 24th December 2015 as inaugurated/launched by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Syed Kirmani awarded with Col. C.K. Nayadu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Syed Kirmani awarded with Col. C.K. Nayadu Lifetime Achievement Award on 24th December 2015. He was the member of Indian Cricket team who won the ICC World Cup in the year 1983 for the first time under the Captaincy of Kapil Dev.
National Good Governance Day observed on 25th December 2015
- National Good Governance Day observed on 25th December 2015 i.e. on the eve of birth anniversary of former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Earlier, in the year 2014, he was awarded with Bharat Ratna.
UNGA adopted 05th November as World Tsunami Awareness Day
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the resolution to designate 05th November as World Tsunami Awareness Day on 24th December 2015 with the aim to aware the people about the dangers of Tsunami.
RBI set the deadline to exchange the currency notes 30th June 2016
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) set the new deadline for exchange the pre-2005 currency notes on 23rd December 2015 i.e. 30th June 2016. Earlier, it was 31st December 2015. RBI extended the deadline for the 5th time.
1st Islamic Airline of Malaysia launched by Indian origins
- 1st Islamic Airline of Malaysia launched on 23rd December 2015 by an Indian origins Ravi Alagendran and Karthiyani Govindan. The Airlines will offer Shariah compliant services including the prayers.
Biocon Limited launched the Hepatitis – C drug Harvoni in India
- Biocon Limited launched the generic version of Hepatitis – C drug Harvoni in India on 24th December 2015. It will be sold under the name ‘CIMIVIR-L’ in India.
1st Artificial Liver Tissue of India developed by Pandorum Technologies
- 1st Artificial Liver Tissue of India developed by Pandorum Technologies on 21st December 2015. Pandorum Technologies developed it with the help of 3-D printing technology.
Current Affairs Updates for 24 December 2015
Dr.Rakesh K. Jain awarded with National Medal of Science of USA
- Dr.Rakesh K. Jain, an Indian-American awarded with National Medal of Science of USA on 23rd December 2015. The award was established in the year 1959 by the Govt. of USA.
‘Crop Insurance’ and ‘AgriMarket Mobile’ launched by the Govt. of India
- Two mobile apps for farmers namely ‘Crop Insurance’ and ‘AgriMarket Mobile’ launched by the Govt. of India with the aim to provide beneficial facilities to the farmers.
Pawan Kumar Agarwal appointed as CEO of FSSAI
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). FSSAI divided into 8 zones having 4 referral and 72 local laboratories in India.
Bihar banned 15 years old diesel vehicles in Patna
- State Govt. of Bihar banned 15 years old diesel vehicles from plying in Patna on 23rd December 2015. Govt. decided it to decrease the pollution level in the city.
Gautam H. Bambawale appointed as High Commissioner of India to Pakistan
- Gautam H. Bambawale appointed as High Commissioner of India to Pakistan on 23rd December 2015. Earlier, he was became Consul General of India in Guangzhou, China in the year 2007.
International Tennis Federation announced the list of World Champions
- According to International Tennis Federation, Novak Djokovic became World Champion in Men’s Singles category and Serena Williams in Women’s singles category.
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini banned for 8 years in Football
- President of FIFA Sepp Blatter and President of UEFA Michel Platini banned for 8 years in Football by Independent Ethics Committee on 21st December 2015.
ICC Awards announced in Dubai, UAE
- According to ICC Awards announced on 23rd December 2015, Steven Smith of Australia awarded with Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year.
INS Godavari decommissioned in Mumbai
- India’s 1st indigenously designed and built warship of Navy ‘INS Godavari’ decommissioned in Mumbai on 23rd December 2015. INS Godavari was built by Mazagon Dock Limited.
Indian Railways signed an agreement with ICICI Bank Ltd.
- On 23rd December 2015, Indian Railways signed an agreement with ICICI Bank Ltd. to sell its rail tickets on applications. ICICI Bank will provide the facility to mobile app and prepaid digital wallet.
Current Affairs Updates for 23 December 2015
Rajya Sabha passed the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill
- Rajya Sabha passed the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015 on 22nd December 2015. Earlier, the bill passed by Lok Sabha on 07th May 2015. Now, the juveniles between the ages of 16-18 years to be tried as adults for heinous crimes.
Philippines became 1st Asian country to approve ‘Dengvaxia’
- Philippines became 1st Asian country to approve Dengue vaccine called as ‘Dengvaxia’ on 22nd December 2015. The vaccine manufactured by Sanofi, the pharmaceutical giant of France.
DAMPE satellite launched by China
- Dark Matter Particle Explorer (DAMPE) satellite has launched by China on 17th December 2015 to shed light on mysterious dark matter. The satellite also called as ‘Wukong’.
Brendon McCullum announced his retirement
- Brendon McCullum, famous Cricketer of New Zealand announced his retirement from all forms of International Cricket on 22nd December 2015. He will retire in the next year in February 2016 after playing the Test Series against Australia.
National Mathematics Day observed on 22nd December 2015
- National Mathematics Day observed on 22nd December 2015 in the country. The day is observed on the eve of birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan who was the great Mathematician of India.
Anwesha Scheme launched by Odisha
- Anwesha Scheme launched by the State Government of Odisha on 21st December 2015 with the aim to provide free education to SC/ST students. CM Naveen Patnaik announced the scheme during the 3 days festival ‘Saragi Phul’.
Gopal Subramaniam Commission appointed by Govt. of Delhi
- Gopal Subramaniam Commission appointed by Govt. of Delhi on 21st December 2015 to inquire the financial irregularities in Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) scam.
Current Affairs Updates for 22 December 2015
‘www.makeinindiadefence.com’ launched by the Defence Ministry
- The website namely ‘www.makeinindiadefence.com’ launched by the Union Defence Ministry on 21st December 2015 with the aim to interface with industry and transparency.
Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach became Miss Universe 2015
- Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach became Miss Universe 2015 on 20th December 2015. Miss Universe is an international beauty pageant which was established inn the year 1952 by Pacific Mills.
Shaymaa Qasim Abdelrahman became Miss Iraq
- Shaymaa Qasim Abdelrahman became Miss Iraq on 20th December 2015. It is very important to mention here that the event held in the country almost after 43 years which has been cancelled due to unrest in the Middle East.
Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain won Miss World 2015
- Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain won Miss World 2015 on 19th December 2015. It is happened for the 1st time that Spain has won Miss World title. Moreover, Aditi Arya of India awarded with People’s Choice Award.
Cochin Shipyard Limited will make LNG ships
- Cochin Shipyard Limited became 1st licensed shipyard of India who will make LNG ships on 21st December 2015. Cochin Shipyard Limited is a major shipbuilding in India.
‘International Year of Pulses 2016’ launched by United Nations
- ‘International Year of Pulses 2016’ launched by United Nations on 10th November 2015 under the theme ‘Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future’. UN launched it with the aim to boost the production of pulses.
Abhay Singh of India won U-19 Singapore Squash Open
- Abhay Singh of India won U-19 Singapore Squash Open on 20th December 2015 after defeating Alwin Chai of Malaysia. He became 1st U-19 player who won 7 junior titles in 2015.
Tata Motors of India ranked at 49th position
- According to the list of top 50 global R&D spenders as released by European Commission on 20th December 2015, Volkswagen of Germany ranked at No.1 position followed by Samsung and Microsoft while Tata Motors of India ranked at 49th position.
Eugeneson Lyngdoh and Bala Devi awarded by AIFF
- Eugeneson Lyngdoh and Bala Devi awarded with AIFF Player of the Year and Woman Footballer of the Year respectively on 20th December 2015 while Pritam Kotal awarded with AIFF Emerging Player of the Year.
OUE Singapore Slammers won Indian Premier Tennis League (IPTL) 2015
- OUE Singapore Slammers won Indian Premier Tennis League (IPTL) 2015 on 20th December 2015 after defeating Micromax Indian Aces. Ivan Dodig and Belinda Bencic awarded with Most Valuable Player in men’s and women’s category respectively.
Kane Williamson became 1st New Zealander to topped the ICC Test Rankings
- Kane Williamson, became 1st Cricketer (Batsman) of New Zealand to topped the ICC Test Rankings released on 21st December 2015. He also became highest scorer of New Zealand in one year.
Current Affairs Updates for 21 December 2015
Chennaiyin FC won Indian Super Football League
- Chennaiyin FC won Indian Super Football League on 20th December 2015 after defeating Goa. John Stiven Mendoza Valencia awarded with Golden Boot Award and Hero of the League Award also while Apoula Edima Edel Bete awarded with Golden Glove Award.
Barcelona FC won FIFA Club World Cup for 3rd time
- Barcelona FC won FIFA Club World Cup for 3rd time on 20th December 2015 after defeating River Plate FC played in Japan. The event was firstly introduced in the year 2000.
5 new Districts in West Bengal will be established
- 5 new Districts in West Bengal will be established as get its approval on 18th December 2015. Now, the total number of Districts in the State of West Bengal will be increased to 25. The new Districts will be: Kalimpong, Sunderbans, Basirhat, Burdwan (Industrial) and Jhargram.
USA lifted the ban on export of crude oil
- USA lifted the ban on export of crude oil on 19th December 2015 which was enacted during the 1970s with the aim to stabilize the domestic prices.
10th Ministerial Conference held in Nairobi, Kenya
- 10th Ministerial Conference of the World Trade Organization (WTO) held on 19th December 2015 at Nairobi, Kenya as chaired by Amina Mohamed Cabinet Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Kenya.
Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain won Miss World Title 2015
- Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain won Miss World Title 2015 on 19th December 2015. She is a Pharmacologist while Sofia Nikitchuk of Russia became the runner-up.
Vijender Singh won the for 3rd consecutive time
- Vijender Singh, famous professional Boxer of India won the for 3rd consecutive time after defeating Samet Hyuseinov of Bulgaria in the event held at Manchester Arena, UK.
Current Affairs Updates for 20 December 2015
West Bengal Government approves the formation of 5 new districts
- West Bengal Government has approved proposal for formation of five new districts in the state. After 5 districts the total number of districts of Bengal will increase to 25.
- Five new districts are Kalimpong , Sundarbans, Basirhat,Burdwan (Industrial), Jhargram district
Renowned theatre artiste Chatla Sriramulu passes away
- Sriramulu had acted and directed more than 100 plays and wrote several books. His famous work is play ‘Maro Mahenjodaro’.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1982) and was awarded ‘Best Actor’ twice by Andhra Nataka Kala Parishad.
British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away
- Popular British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away on 16 December 2015
- He was the first author to receive twice the prestigious Carnegie medal
Foundation stone laid for AIIMS near Vijayawada
- Health Minister JP Nadda today laid the foundation stone for the Rs. 1,620-crore 960-bed All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Mangalagiri near Vijayawada.
Axis Bank partners with eMudhra for e-signature facility
- Axis Bank Ltd has introduced e-signature services through which individuals having Aadhaar numbers will be able to digitally sign documents to submit to the bank online.
- Axis Bank has partnered with digital security company eMudhra for the eSign service.
Current Affairs Updates for 19 December 2015
UP banned the use of polythene bags
- The State Govt. of Uttar Pradesh banned the use of polythene bags in the State on 17th December 2015 as announced in the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Radha Krishna Mathur appointed as Chief Information Commissioner
- Radha Krishna Mathur appointed as Chief Information Commissioner on 17th December 2015 as his appointment approved by President. He remained Defence Secretary for the period of 2 years.
World’s 20 most Generous People list has released
- World’s 20 most Generous People list has released by Wealth-X on 25th November 2015. According to the list, Bill Gates ranked at No.1 position while Azim Premji ranked at 4th position.
2nd World Internet Conference held in Wuzen, China
- 2nd World Internet Conference held in Wuzen, China which has concluded on 18th December 2015 as jointly organized by Cyberspace Administration of China and People’s Government of Zhejiang, China.
Afghanistan became 164th member of World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Afghanistan became 164th member of World Trade Organization (WTO) on 17th December 2015. However, Afghanistan became 36th least developed country to join the WTO headquartered at Geneva, Switzerland.
‘Marine Drive’ of Mumbai completed 100 years of its establishment
- ‘Marine Drive’ of Mumbai completed 100 years of its establishment on 18th December 2015. Marine Drive is 4.3 km long C shaped road lies in South Mumbai. The road also known as ‘Netaji Subhash Chandra Road’.
International Migrants Day observed on 18th December 2015
- International Migrants Day observed on 18th December 2015. The day was established in the year 2000 as adopted its resolution by UN General Assembly.
Claude and Norma Alvares awarded with Sanctuary Lifetime Service Award
- Claude and Norma Alvares awarded with Sanctuary Lifetime Service Award on 18th December 2015 as presented by Sanctuary Asia Magazine. Claude and Norma Alvares are the husband-wife in relation who are social workers and environmental activists.
Current Affairs Updates for 18 December 2015
23 Poets and Authors have chosen for Sahitya Akademi Awards
- 23 Poets and Authors have chosen for Sahitya Akademi Awards 2015 on 17th December 2015 in various Indian languages. The President of Sahitya Akademi is Dr.Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari.
Francois Hollande will be Chief Guest at 67th Republic Day Parade
- Francois Hollande, President of France will become the Chief Guest at 67th Republic Day Parade to be held on 26th January 2016 as announced by Union Ministry of External Affairs on 17th December 2015.
‘Bose Brothers and Indian Independence – An Insider’s Account’
- The book titled as ‘Bose Brothers and Indian Independence – An Insider’s Account’ written by Madhuri Bose. The Author presented its one copy to PM Modi on 17th December 2015.
Justice Reva Khetrapal appointed as Lokayukta of Delhi
- Justice Reva Khetrapal appointed as Lokayukta of Delhi on 17th December 2015 while Justice Manmohan Sarin recently retired. The Governor of Delhi is Najeeb Jung.
Noorul Huda, the famous leader of CPIM, died
- Noorul Huda, the famous leader of Communist Party of India (M) (CPIM), died on 17th December 2015. He remained member of Legislative Assembly of the State of Assam during the period 1978 to 1983.
Govt. of India formed AP Shah Committee
- Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas formed AP Shah Committee on 15th December 2015 to look after the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation-Reliance Industries Limited (ONGC-RIL) dispute on Krishna Godavari (KG) gas fields. The Chairman of the Committee is Ajit Prakash Shah.
Federal Reserve System of USA increased the interest rate by 0.25% since 2006
- Federal Reserve System of USA increased the interest rate by 0.25% since 2006 on 16th December 2015 for the purpose to consolidate the recovery process of economy of the country.
RBI comes under the RTI Act
- According to the decision of Supreme Court of India, RBI liable to disclose information about the banks under the Right to Information (RTI) Act as announced on 16th December 2015. The ruling has passed by Justice M.Y. Eqbal and Justice C. Nagappan.
Current Affairs Updates for 17 December 2015
Pakistan successfully test fired ‘Shaheen-IA’
- Pakistan successfully test fired nuclear capable ballistic missile ‘Shaheen-IA’ on 15th December 2015 having range of about 900 km. ‘Shaheen-IA’ also known as ‘Falcon’.
Apurvi Chandela won Gold Medal in 10 metre Air Rifle event
- Apurvi Chandela won Gold Medal in 10 metre Air Rifle event in women’s category at 59th National Shooting Championship on 15th December 2015 while Geetakshi Dixit won Silver Medal.
6 satellites of Singapore successfully launched by ISRO
- 6 satellites of Singapore successfully launched by ISRO by using PSLV-C29 as launched on 16th December 2015 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
Green Peace India released the report on National Air Quality Index
- Green Peace India released the report on National Air Quality Index of 17 cities on 15th December 2015 in which Delhi recorded as the most polluted city followed by Patna and Gwalior.
Vijay Diwas observed on 16th December 2015
- Vijay Diwas observed on 16th December 2015 in the country to commemorate the victory of Indo-Pak War 1971. Since then, the day is being celebrated as Victory Day in Bangladesh and Vijay Diwas in India.
$1.5 billion loan approved by World Bank to India
- $1.5 billion loan has approved by World Bank on 15th December 2015 to India. India will spend the amount to fulfill the objective of Clean India Campaign also known as Swachh Bharat Mission.
Rory Mcllory awarded with European Tour Golfer of the Year Award
- Rory Mcllory of Ireland awarded with European Tour Golfer of the Year Award on 15th December 2015. He awarded with this award for the 3rd time in the last 4 years.
Finance Ministry made mandatory to quote PAN
- On 16th December 2015, Finance Ministry of India made mandatory to quote Permanent Account Number (PAN) for all the transactions above Rs.2 Lakh which will be come into effect from 01st January 2016.
Current Affairs Updates for 16 December 2015
4 Indian Boxers awarded with Olympic scholarship
- Indian Boxers Shiva Thapa, Mandeep Jangra, Gaurav Bidhuri and Sumit Sangwan awarded with Olympic scholarship on 15th December 2015 as the scholarship presented by International Olympics Committee.
A.K. Jain appointed as Chairman of CBDT
- A.K. Jain appointed as Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on 15th December 2015. CBDT is a statutory authority which is functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
Islamic Military Coalition launched by Saudi Arabia
- Islamic Military Coalition launched by Saudi Arabia on 15th December 2015 with the aim to counter terrorism in which 34 countries will participate. The coalition launched in pursuance of the objectives of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC).
Bappi Lahiri and Kedarnath Bhattacharya (Kumar Sanu) awarded with Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Bappi Lahiri and Kedarnath Bhattacharya (also known as Kumar Sanu) awarded with Lifetime Achievement Awards on 14th December 2015 by the State Government of West Bengal. The awards presented on the eve of Bangla Sangeet Mela held annually in the State.
New Zealand confirmed its new flag ‘Silver Fern’
- New Zealand confirmed its new flag consisting black, white and blue design called as ‘Silver Fern’ on 15th December 2015 as designed by Kyle Lockwood.
Principles for Public Credit Guarantee Schemes launched by World Bank Group
- Principles for Public Credit Guarantee Schemes launched by World Bank Group and 1st Initiative on 14th December 2015 with the aim to provide global standards for Credit Guarantee Schemes.
L. Narasimha Reddy appointed as Chairman of Judicial Committee on OROP
- Govt. of India formed the new Judicial Committee on One Rank One Pension (OROP) and appointed L. Narasimha Reddy as its Chairman. L. Narasimha Reddy is a Retd. Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
Govt. of India will establish 3 new IIITs in Ranchi, Nagpur and Pune
- Govt. of India signed a MoU on 12th December 2015 in which 3 new IITs on Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) mode will be established in Ranchi, Nagpur and Pune Districts.
Saudi Arabia elected women candidates in almost 18 Municipal Councils
- The citizens of Saudi Arabia elected women candidates in almost 18 Municipal Councils as announced results on 13th December 2015. It is important to noting that for the first time, women candidates were allowed to contest in the country.
Current Affairs Updates for 15 December 2015
Anirban Lahiri won Order of Merit crown of Asian Tour
- Anirban Lahiri, famous Golfer of India won Order of Merit crown of Asian Tour on 14th December 2015. He became 4th Indian Golfer to win this award. The other three are: Jyoti Randhawa, Arjun Atwal and Jeev Milkha Singh.
Operation Smill-II: Campaign to rescue the missing children launched
- Operation Smill-II: Campaign to rescue the missing children, will be started from 01st January 2016 to 31st January 2016. Earlier, Operation Muskaan was also launched to fulfill the objectives.
Vijay Kumar won Gold Medal in 59th National Shooting Championship
- Vijay Kumar won Gold Medal in 59th National Shooting Championship on 13th December 2015 after defeating Gurpreet Singh.
Kento Momota and Nozomi Okuhara won World Dubai Superseries Finals
- Kento Momota and Nozomi Okuhara of Japan won World Dubai Superseries Finals on 13th December 2015 in Men’s singles and Women’s singles category respectively.
Human Development Index (HDI) released by UNDP
- According to the Human Development Index (HDI) released by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on 14th December 2015, Norway ranked at No.1 position while India ranked at 130th position.
Itzhak Perlman, an Israeli-American awarded with Genesis Prize
- Itzhak Perlman, an Israeli-American awarded with Genesis Prize 2015 on 14th December 2015. The award is also known as ‘Jewish Nobel Prize’ which was established in the year 2014.
Rajasthan became 1st State to submit smart city plan
- Rajasthan became 1st State of India to submit smart city plan on 14th December 2015. The State decided the city proposals of Udaipur, Kota and Ajmer districts.
Pravin Gordhan, an Indian origin became Finance Minister of South Africa
- Pravin Gordhan, an Indian origin became Finance Minister of South Africa on 14th December 2015. Earlier, he served as Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs in South Africa.
Current Affairs Updates for 14 December 2015
Construction of TAPI gas project started
- Construction of Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline project which is around 1800 km long, started on 13th December 2015. It is important to noting that Turkmenistan is the World’s 4th largest gas reserves.
J.M. Sali awarded with South East Asia Write Award
- Jamaludeen Mohamed Sali awarded with South East Asia Write Award on 13th December 2015 for his excellence of literary in the event held at Bangkok, Thailand.
Dilip Kumar awarded with Padma Vibhushan
- Dilip Kumar, the famous Bollywood Actor awarded with Padma Vibhushan on 13th December 2015. Padma Vibhushan is the 2nd highest civilian award of the country.
‘Losar’ Festival started in Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
- ‘Losar’ Festival started in Ladakh region of the State of Jammu and Kashmir on 13th December 2015. The festival is 10 days long.
Ahmed Javed appointed as Ambassador to Saudi Arabia
- Ahmed Javed appointed as Ambassador to Saudi Arabia on 13th December 2015. It is important to noting that Saudi Arabia is an important country for energy starved India from energy security perspective.
Climate agreement adopted at UN Climate Change Summit
- On 12th December 2015, the climate agreement adopted at UN Climate Change Summit held in Paris in which 196 countries participated. The agreement is scheduled to come into effect from the year 2020.
‘Gambia’ declared as Islamic Republic
- The country of Africa ‘Gambia’ declared as Islamic Republic on 12th December 2015. Almost 90% of the citizens of Gambia are Muslims. Yahya Jammeh is the President of Gambia.
Current Affairs Updates for 13 December 2015
1st UNESCO biosphere reserve Inle Lake of Myanmar, launched
- 1st UNESCO biosphere reserve Inle Lake of Myanmar, launched on 11th December 2015. Earlier, in June 2015, the lake was declared as 1st biosphere reserve of Myanmar.
Sharad Joshi, the famous agro-economist, died
- Sharad Joshi, the famous agro-economist, died on 11th December 2015. He was founder of Shetakari Sanghtana which was founded in the year 1979 and also called as Farmer’s Organization.
Varanasi and Jaipur designated as members of Creative Cities Network
- Varanasi and Jaipur designated as members of Creative Cities Network of UNESCO. Both the cities added in the list of ‘City of Craft’.
Deborah Herold became 1st Indian woman to be ranked at No.4 position
- Deborah Herold, the Cyclist of India, became 1st Indian woman to be ranked at No.4 position in the World as the ranked released by International Cycling Union.
Elizabeth Susan Koshy won Gold Medal in National Shooting Championship
- Elizabeth Susan Koshy of Kerala won Gold Medal in 59th National Shooting Championship on 11th December 2015 in the event held at New Delhi while Anjum Moudgil of Haryana won Silver Medal.
Wipro won Aegis Graham Bell Award
- Wipro won Aegis Graham Bell Award on 11th December 2015 for developing the solution for Internet of Things (IoT). The award organized with Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) and Telecom Centres of Excellence India (TCOE) also.
India and Japan signed the important agreements
- On 12th December 2015, India and Japan issued the joint ‘Statement on India and Japan Vision 2025: Special Strategic and Global Partnership Working Together for Peace and Prosperity of the Indo-Pacific Regions and the World’. Both the countries also signed an agreement on Civil Nuclear Cooperation and MoC on High Speed Railways and also signed many other agreements also.
NGT banned the registration of new diesel-run vehicles in Delhi
- National Green Tribunal (NGT) has banned the registration of new diesel-run vehicles in Delhi with the aim to curb the air pollution in Delhi. The decision was taken by Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar.
India imposed anti-dumping duty on import of cold-rolled flat products
- Govt. of India imposed anti-dumping duty on import of cold-rolled flat products of stainless steel for 5 years from 7 countries. The countries are: China, South Korea, USA, South Africa, Thailand, Taiwan and European Union.
Current Affairs Updates for 12 December 2015
Naseeruddin Shah awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Naseeruddin Shah awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award at 12th Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) on 10th December 2015.
Salman Rushdie awarded with Mailer Prize for Lifetime Achievement
- Salman Rushdie awarded with Mailer Prize for Lifetime Achievement on 11th December 2015. He also awarded with Whitbread Prize, Writers Guild Award and US National Arts Award etc.
Pakistan successfully test fired Shaheen-III
- Shaheen-III nuclear capable ballistic missile successfully test fired by Pakistan on 10th December 2015 as test fired in Arabian Sea.
‘On My Terms: From the Grassroots to the Corridors of Power’ released
- Autobiography of Sharad Pawar titled as ‘On My Terms: From the Grassroots to the Corridors of Power’ released on 10th December 2015 by PM Modi.
UN agencies launched Sahel Humanitarian Appeal 2016
- UN agencies launched Sahel Humanitarian Appeal for the year 2016 of $1.98 billion on 09th December 2015 with the aim to tackle the humanitarian crisis. Sahel Humanitarian Appeal is a vast belt in North Africa which divides the Sahara Desert and Savannahs towards South.
Mauricio Macri sworn-in as President of Argentina
- Mauricio Macri of Republican Proposal Party, sworn-in as President of Argentina on 10th December 2015. He became 1st non-Peronist President in the last 14 years.
Govt. of India declared Tamil Nadu flood as National Disaster
- Govt. of India declared Tamil Nadu flood as calamity of severe nature on 09th December 2015 called as ‘National Disaster’. Earlier, on 15th – 16th November 2015, Tamil Nadu came under a very heavy rain causing flood in whole of the State.
Current Affairs Updates for 11 December 2015
India and Pakistan announced 10-point Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue
- India and Pakistan announced 10-point Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue on 09th December 2015 as replaced with 8-point Composite Dialogue Process (Resumed Dialogue).
India ranked at 4th position in black money outflows
- According to Global Financial Integrity Report, India ranked at 4th position in black money outflows as the report announced on 09th December 2015 while China ranked at No.1 position followed by Russia and Mexico.
Delhi has highest per capita income in India
- According to the report of Delhi Statistical Hand Book, Delhi has highest per capital income in India during the financial year 2014-15. According to the report released on 09th December 2015, Delhi has Rs.2,40,849 per capital income.
Iran successfully tested Ghadr-110 ballistic missile
- Iran successfully tested Ghadr-110 ballistic missile on 08th December 2015. Along with this test, Iran breached of 2 resolutions of United Nations Security Council.
Dengvaxia, 1st dengue vaccine of the World, approved by Mexico
- Dengvaxia, 1st dengue vaccine of the World, approved on 09th December 2015 by Mexico. Now the vaccine can be used for dengue fever publicly.
Mahela Jayawardene awarded with honorary lifetime membership of MCC
- Mahela Jayawardene, Cricketer of Sri Lanka awarded with honorary lifetime membership of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) on 09th December 2015. He became 14th Cricketer of Sri Lanka to be awarded with the membership.
Luxembourg became 10th country to ratify the AoA of AIIB
- Luxembourg became 10th country to ratify the Articles of Agreement (AoA) of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) on 08th December 2015. Earlier, AIIB was established in the year 2014 in Beijing, China.
Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain awarded with Queen’s Young Leaders Award
- Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain of India awarded with Queen’s Young Leaders Award 2016 on 08th December 2015 for their work in transforming the lives of people.
2016: UK-India Year of Education, Research and Innovation launched
- ‘2016: UK-India Year of Education, Research and Innovation’ launched on 09th December 2015 in New Delhi as launched by Sajid Javid of UK and Smriti Irani of India.
1st Anti-piracy police unit of India established in Telangana
- 1st Anti-piracy police unit of India, named as ‘Telangana Intellectual Property Crime Unit’ (TIPCU) established in the State of Telangana on 09th December 2015 with the aim to monitor the online piracy of films.
Current Affairs Updates for 10 December 2015
International Anti-Corruption Day observed on 09th December 2015
- International Anti-Corruption Day observed on 09th December 2015 under the theme ‘Break the Corruption Chain’ with the aim to aware the people about corruption.
Human Rights Day observed on 10th December 2015
- Human Rights Day observed on 10th December 2015 under the theme ‘Our Righs. Our Freedoms. Always’. The day was established in the year 1948 as adopted by United Nations.
Angela Merkel awarded with Person of the Year 2015
- Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany awarded with Person of the Year 2015 by Time Magazine on 08th December 2015. She became 4th woman awarded with the award.
5th ‘Heart of Asia Conference’ began in Islamabad, Pakistan
- 5th ‘Heart of Asia Conference’ began in Islamabad, Pakistan on 09th December 2015. Prime Ministers of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif and President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurated the conference.
Carolina Marin won ‘Female Player of the Year Award’
- Carolina Marin of Spain won ‘Female Player of the Year Award’ on 08th December 2015. She ranked at No.1 position in World ranking. On the other hand, Chen Long of China awarded with ‘Male Player of the Year Award’.
Frank Islam awarded with Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award
- Frank Islam, an Indian-American Entrepreneur awarded with Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award on 08th December 2015. Earlier, he was also awarded with ‘Martin Luther King Jr. Award’ in 2015.
Vehicle Rationing Scheme launched by Government of Delhi
- Vehicle Rationing Scheme launched by Government of Delhi on 04th December 2015 with the aim to curb the air pollution. The scheme approved in high-level meeting as chaired by Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal.
Rohit Sharma became co-owner of UP Warriors in Pro Wrestling League
- Rohit Sharma, an Indian Cricketer became co-owner of UP Warriors in Pro Wrestling League on 09th December 2015. Famous Indian Wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Joginder Kumar will participate in the team.
Yes Bank Limited announced to mobilize $5 billion from 2015 to 2020
- Yes Bank Limited announced to mobilize $5 billion from 2015 to 2020 for climate action through lending, investing and raising capital.
‘Hetero Drugs’ became 1st in India to receive the approval for Hepatitis C drug
- The company ‘Hetero Drugs’ became 1st in India to receive the approval for Hepatitis C drug as approved by Drug Controller General of India (DCGI).
Current Affairs Updates for 9 December 2015
Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 passed in Rajya Sabha
- Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 passed in Rajya Sabha on 07th December 2015. Earlier, the Bill passed in Lok Sabha in August 2015.
MUD won Parliamentary elections of Venezuela
- Centre-right Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) coalition won Parliamentary elections of Venezuela 2015 on 07th December 2015.
International Day of Commemoration of Dignity of Victims of Crime of Genocide observed on 09th December
- International Day of Commemoration of Dignity of Victims of Crime of Genocide observed on 09th December 2015.
Maharashtra won Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Maharashtra won Wheelchair Basketball Championship on 06th December 2015 i.e. on the eve of International Day of People with Disabilities.
Andhra Pradesh became 1st State to join UDAY
- Andhra Pradesh became 1st State to join discom revival scheme ‘Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana’ (UDAY) on 05th December 2015.
Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi directed by Delhi High Court
- Congress President and Vice-President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi directed by Delhi High Court to appear in person in the ‘National Herald’ case as announced on 08th December 2015.
Pune and Rajkot became the interim franchises in IPL
- Pune and Rajkot became the interim franchises in Indian Premier League (IPL) till 2017 as announced on 08th December 2015. The teams will be replaced with Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals.
Current Affairs Updates for 8 December 2015
India-Russia joint naval exercise began in Visakhapatnam
- INDRA Navy-15, an India-Russia joint naval exercise began in Visakhapatnam on 06th December 2015. This is bilateral maritime joint naval exercise between India and Russia. Indian Navy will be represented by INS Sahyadri, INS Ranvijay and INS Shakti.
IMF included ‘Yuan’ in SDR basket
- On 30th November 2015 International Monetary Fund (IMF) included the currency Yuan (Currency of China) (Renminbi) in Special Drawing Rights (SDR) Basket.
Armed Forces Flag Day observed on 07th December 2015
- Armed Forces Flag Day observed on 07th December 2015. The day is observed with the aim to collect the funds from the people in the country.
India received 1st uranium consignment from Canada
- On 04th December 2015, India received 1st uranium consignment from Canada as the consignment shipped by ‘Cameco Inc.’ of Canada. Department of Atomic Energy of India received it after signed an agreement with Canada.
India won the Test Series against South Africa
- On 07th December 2015, India won the four match Test Series against South Africa 3-0 in the 3rd match played at Feroz Shah Kotla Ground, Delhi. India won the match by 337 runs.
‘RX1E’ gets license for production
- 1st manned electric aircraft of China ‘RX1E’ gets license for production on 04th December 2015 as approved by Civil Aviation Administration of China which is designed by Shenyang Aerospace University and Liaoning General Aviation Academy, Liaoning, China.
Dr.Arvind Subramanian Committee recommended standard rate for GST at 17-18%
- Dr.Arvind Subramanian Committee recommended standard rate for Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 17-18% as recommended by Chief Economic Advisor Dr.Arvind Subramanian.
Current Affairs Updates for 7 December 2015
India and Pakistan held NSA level talks
- India and Pakistan held National Security Advisory level talks held in Bangkok, Thailand on 06th December 2015 as attended by Ajit Doval from India and Naseer Khan Januja from Pakistan.
Singapore became top source of FDI in India
- According to the report released by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) on 06th December 2015, Singapore became top source of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India.
Commemorative coin of Rs.10 and Rs.125 released
- Commemorative coin of Rs.10 and Rs.125 on Dr.B.R. Ambedkar released by the Govt. of India on 06th December 2015 on the eve of 125th birth anniversary of Dr.B.R. Ambedkar.
1st double decker Goa-Mumbai train inaugurated by Indian Railways
- 1st double decker Goa-Mumbai train inaugurated by Indian Railways on 06th December 2015 as flagged off by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
Australia won Hockey World League after defeating Belgium
- Australia won Hockey World League after defeating Belgium on 06th December 2015 while ranked at 3rd place in the event after defeating Netherlands.
World Bank launched $500 million Transformative Carbon Asset Facility
- World Bank launched $500 million Transformative Carbon Asset Facility for the purpose to provide the help for developing countries.
Report of State of Forest Report 2015 released
- According to the report of State of Forest Report 2015 released on 04th December 2015, forest and tree cover has been increased by almost 5081 sq. km. in India.
Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 passed by Delhi Assembly
- Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 passed by Delhi Assembly on 04th December 2015 for the purpose to establish of statutory anti-corruption Ombudsman. Under the guidelines of Bill, the imprisonment is ranging between 6 months to 10 years.
1st International festival on Birds launched by UP
- 1st International festival on Birds launched by the State of Uttar Pradesh on 04th December 2015 which was held during 04th to 06th December 2015. The festival was organized with the aim to promote the State UP as an International bird-watching destination.
International Volunteer Day observed on 05th December 2015
- International Volunteer Day observed on 05th December 2015 under the theme ‘The World is changing. Are you? Volunteer!’ The day was established by United Nations General Assembly in the year 1985.
Tommy Sugiarto won Yonex Indonesian Masters BWF Grand Prix Gold tournament
- Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia won Yonex Indonesian Masters BWF Grand Prix Gold tournament on 06th December 2015 after defeating Kidambi Srikant of India.
Current Affairs Updates for 5 December 2015
Navy Day observed on 04th December 2015
- Navy Day observed on 04th December 2015. Navy Day observed for the success of ‘Operation Trident’ of 1971 India-Pakistan War.
FIFA World Rankings of 2015 Edition announced
- According to FIFA World Rankings of 2015 Edition, Belgium ranked at No.1 position while India ranked at 172nd position.
‘Accessible India Campaign’ launched by the Govt. of India
- ‘Accessible India Campaign’ launched by the Govt. of India on 03rd December 2015 with the aim to provide equal opportunity for development.
Himachal Pradesh became 1st to launch Rotavirus Vaccination Project
- Himachal Pradesh became 1st to launch Rotavirus Vaccination Project on 03rd December 2015 which will help to control the child mortality rate under the age of 5 years during Diarrhoea.
Paris Pact on Water and Climate Change Adaptation announced
- Paris Pact on Water and Climate Change Adaptation announced on 03rd December 2015 by coalition of countries from across the World as announced during United Nations Climate Change Conference.
Bhuvan-GAIL Portal launched by GAIL (India) Limited
- Bhuvan-GAIL Portal launched by GAIL (India) Limited on 30th November 2015 in collaboration with National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC).
Current Affairs Updates for 4 December 2015
The Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015 passed in Lok Sabha
- The Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015 passed in Lok Sabha (lower house of the Parliament) on 03rd December 2015 through voice vote. The bill replaced with Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
Commemorative postage stamp released on 03rd December 2015
- A commemorative postage stamp released on 03rd December 2015 by the Govt. of India to mark the Centenary Year of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
1st India International Science Festival began in Delhi
- 1st India International Science Festival began in Delhi on 03rd December 2015 as organized by Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
International Day of Persons with Disabilities observed on 03rd December 2015
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities observed on 03rd December 2015 with the aim to promote an understanding of disability issues raised in all over the World.
Pulin Kumar awarded with INBA Award
- Pulin Kumar, Senior Legal and Compliance Director of Adidas India, awarded with Indian National Bar Association’s (INBA) Award as the award presented by Senior Lawyer Ram Jethmalani.
Dr.Vijay M. Rao, an Indian-American appointed as Chairperson of RSNA
- Dr.Vijay M. Rao, an Indian-American appointed as Chairperson of Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors on 02nd December 2015.
India signed DTAC agreement with Japan
- India signed Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC) agreement with Japan on 02nd December 2015 with the aim to prevent the fiscal evasion.
Current Affairs Updates for 3 December 2015
Vijay Kumar Choudhary appointed as Speaker of Bihar Legislative Assembly
- Vijay Kumar Choudhary appointed as Speaker of Bihar Legislative Assembly on 01st December 2015. He is senior leader of Janta Dal United (JDU).
GIAN Scheme launched by Govt. of India
- GIAN Scheme launched by Govt. of India on 01st December 2015 with the aim to boost the higher education in the country. The scheme launched by HRD Minister Smriti Irani.
Maharashtra is the biggest State economy in India
- According to the Brickwork Report, released on 01st December 2015, Maharashtra is the biggest State economy in India followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
Tata Sons Limited signed an agreement with ICBC
- Tata Sons Limited signed an agreement with Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited on 02nd December 2015. ICBC established its branch in Mumbai in the year 2011 for the purpose of corporate banking and also for the trade finance services.
International Day of the Abolition of Slavery observed on 02nd December 2015
- International Day of the Abolition of Slavery observed on 02nd December 2015 with the aim to elimination of human trafficking and child labour also.
Thakur Anoop Singh won Gold Medal in 7th World Bodybuilding and Physique Championship
- Thakur Anoop Singh of India won Gold Medal in 7th World Bodybuilding and Physique Championship on 28th November 2015. In this championship, India won 11 medals held in Bangkok, Thailand.
Delhi Development Authority awarded with E-India Award
- Delhi Development Authority awarded with E-India Award on 01st December 2015 for serve the public well with using the resources through mobile applications.
L. Subramaniam awarded with ITC Sangeet Samman
- L. Subramaniam awarded with ITC Sangeet Samman on 01st December 2015. Earlier, he was awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award by Limca Book of Records in 2012 and Padma Bhushan in 2001.
Current Affairs Updates for 2 December 2015
1st BRICS media summit held in Beijing, China
- 1st BRICS media summit held in Beijing, China on 01st December 2015 with for the purpose to create an alternative media for 5 countries i.e. Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa.
India ranked at 131st position in ICT Development Index
- According to ICT Development Index, released on 01st December 2015, India ranked at 131st position out of 167 countries while South Korea ranked at 1st position followed by Denmark and Iceland.
India and France jointly launched International Solar Alliance
- India and France jointly launched International Solar Alliance (ISA) at Conference of Parties (CoP21) Climate Conference held in Paris, France on 01st December 2015.
‘Embrace of the Serpent’ awarded with Golden Peacock Award at 46th IFFI
- The film of Colombia namely ‘Embrace of he Serpent’ has been awarded with Golden Peacock Award at 46th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) while Peter Greenway of Netherlands awarded with Best Director Award.
Roch Marc Christian Kabore became President of Burkina Faso
- Roch Marc Christian Kabore became President of Burkina Faso on 01st December 2015. Capital of Currency of Burkina Faso is Ouagadougou and CFA Franc respectively.
World AIDS Day observed on 01st December 2015
- World Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Day observed on 01st December 2015 with the aim to aware the people about pandemic caused by the HIV infection.
India re-elected as Member of International Maritime Council
- India re-elected as Member of International Maritime Council (IMO) on 30th November 2015 as announced at 29th session of IMO Assembly held in London, UK.
Saudi Arabia allowed women to vote in local elections
- Saudi Arabia allowed women to vote and also contest in Municipal (local) elections on 30th November 2015 for the 1st time in the country.
Jharkhand declared as drought hit State
- The State Government of Jharkhand declared the State drought hit on 01st December 2015 as decided in the Cabinet meeting chaired by CM Raghubar Das.
Robert Lewandowski awarded with 4 Guinness World Record Certificates
- Robert Lewandowski awarded with 4 Guinness World Record Certificates on 30th November 2015 for scoring five goals in just 9 minutes.
Hinduja Brothers awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award
- G.P. Hinduja and S.P. Hinduja (known as Hinduja Brothers) awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award at Asian Business Leadership Forum 2015 held in Dubai, UAE on 29th November 2015.
World’s 20 Most Generous People List released by Wealth-X
- According to the World’s 20 Most Generous People List released by Wealth-X, Bill Gates of USA, founder of Microsoft, ranked at No.1 position while Azim Premji, Chairman of Wipro ranked at 4th position.
Anil Khanna re-appointed as President of Asian Tennis Federation
- Anil Khanna re-appointed as President of Asian Tennis Federation (ATF) on 28th November 2015 as announced in Annual General Meeting held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Current Affairs Updates for 1 December 2015
Dr. Abdul Kalam IGNITE award presented by Pranab Mukherjee
During his 3-day visit of Gujarat , the president Pranab Mukherjee awarded the prestigious Dr. Abdul Kalam IGNITE award to total of 40 school students from 27 district of 18 states at IIM -A (Ahmedabad) for 31 grass root innovation.
Pioneering Australian football icon Joe Marston died at 89
Russia's most popular Director Eldar Ryazanov died at 88
Russian director Eldar Ryazanov died at age of 88 due to prolonged sickness who is one of the most popular director in the soviet era.
Anil Khanna re-elected as the president of Asian Tennis Federation
Anil Khanna re-elected as the president of Asian Tennis Federation at Colombo , Sri-Lanka.